Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920

Thread: Question about not feeling emotions

EaseAndFlow
    Thanks for your examples. I'm beginning to understand better now how "focusing" works.

EaseAndFlow
    Quote Originally Posted by WellBeing View Post
    When Abraham (and we) use the term "focus," it's a catch-all term, meaning "paying attention to", "looking at", "thinking about", "hearing", "being aware of", "noticing", "smelling", "observing", "participating in", and many more.
    Ooh, I really wish I hadn't made it more complicated and hard than that from the beginning.. Of course there's nothing wrong with my ability to focus, I focus all the time. But it's all about how I'm using my focus and how I've practiced using my focus.. I really want to shift my story about this at some point because I'm so tired at creating this "hard" experience for myself.

I do think that I misunderstand a bit what "focusing" means, still, even though you're explaining it very clearly, because I find myself often unaware of how I'm focusing. And sometimes I manifest a not-good-feeling in my belly early in the morning and I wasn't aware of anything resistant that I was focusing on that created that feeling. And it's this misunderstanding that makes it seem so hard how to "just do" this task you're advising me to do. I want to "just do it!". But I'll do keep trying. Thanks for all your replies.

ETA: One thing I don't quite understand regarding that we can only pay attention to one thing at a time: How does that work when doing the "writing" processes? You first pay attention to the thought you're writing down, and then you're paying attention to your feeling? Because you cannot pay attention to the thought and your emotions at the same time, right?

Curious. I don't see a single word there about your Wanted, let alone kittens.

Quote Originally Posted by EaseAndFlow View Post
    Ooh, I really wish I hadn't made it more complicated and hard than that from the beginning.. Of course there's nothing wrong with my ability to focus, I focus all the time. But it's all about how I'm using my focus and how I've practiced using my focus.. I really want to shift my story about this at some point because I'm so tired at creating this "hard" experience for myself.

I do think that I misunderstand a bit what "focusing" means, still, even though you're explaining it very clearly, because I find myself often unaware of how I'm focusing. And sometimes I manifest a not-good-feeling in my belly early in the morning and I wasn't aware of anything resistant that I was focusing on that created that feeling. And it's this misunderstanding that makes it seem so hard how to "just do" this task you're advising me to do. But I'll do keep trying. Thanks for all your replies.

ETA: One thing I don't quite understand regarding that we can only pay attention to one thing at a time: How does that work when doing the "writing" processes? You first pay attention to the thought you're writing down, and then you're paying attention to your feeling? Because you can't pay attention to that thought and your emotions at the same time, right?

It's fascinating that you apparently seem to think that by repeating, discussing, analyzing, contemplating, restating, justifying, and lamenting what you don't want/like, why you don't want/like it, how you don't understand it, that somehow you could possibly get something other than MORE of what you don't want. After three years of grabbing the hot stove and wondering why it hurts, you still think that grabbing it more tightly is the answer. Absolutely fascinating.

Beloved Woman paradise-on-earth's Avatar
    Give us KITTENS!!!
    Or giraffes, or dogs, or whatever
    Or BUBBLES.

Or ANYTHING that feels joyful, to you!

EaseAndFlow
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It's fascinating that you apparently seem to think that by repeating, discussing, analyzing, contemplating, restating, justifying, and lamenting what you don't want/like, why you don't want/like it, how you don't understand it, that somehow you could possibly get something other than MORE of what you don't want. After three years of grabbing the hot stove and wondering why it hurts, you still think that grabbing it more tightly is the answer. Absolutely fascinating.
    Maybe because I haven't got it to work for me. I can't honestly say that I understand how I think thoughts or how to think a thought I want to think. When others talk about "thinking", I don't get it either anymore. I feel unaware of both my thinking and my emotions so I feel my only option is to give this up now.

We agree. Good luck, we hope you will find something that works for you.