Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about not feeling emotions

EaseAndFlow
    Quote Originally Posted by The LoA-Man View Post
    Hmm the perspective I expressed to you is the best one that works for me. I do "the work" only by letting go of the cork and then grid fills itself in in that way. The improved thoughts come by themselves as a match to my improved vibration, so shifting the thoughts does not turn into an effort. It works for me perfectly well, so I thought it could work for you as well. But of course I cannot know what works for you more than you do.
    That seems like a good approach for me to try out, living more in the now, finding out what my PoLR is right now instead of looking for what resistant beliefs I could "clean up". Thanks for sharing what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WellBeing View Post
    “Eventually,” yes. But, first, you might want to take your hand off the hot stove to stop your burning.
    Exactly!

Bubbles... Rubik's cube…Fluffy bunnies...Don't have to think about that now…Later, 'Gator...The sun came up this morning...Look at that happy puppy…Oh, that. That's just a thought I keep thinking. Someday, I'll choose a different thought to think…My heart’s still pumping blood…Listen to my music....
    Yes, listening to music is so much better when you already feel good first, but I see where you're getting at. Deliberately distracting myself as a way to feel better.

Do you ever play a game? Have you?

Did that game become less or more fun when you analyzed it extensively and turned it into an assignment or a chore?
    Wow, thank you so much WellBeing. I enjoyed your post very much, and I'm glad that I was feeling better than usual yesterday so that I allowed it in. This is the most important piece for me to remember. It's so important for me right now.

Great. How will you start to do that?
    I will begin being easier about it today, and lator gator it when I begin to think a resistant habit of thoughts. Maybe at some point I could tell a better-feeling story about this "work", but not right now when it feels "hard".

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rose essence View Post
    You don't have to clean them up, you can do for ex. a cheese process. Have you looked that up?
    I normally have no problems with cleaning up a resistance, but in one instance I was very clear that I didn't want to go there. I applied the principles of the cheese process, and it worked wonders, I manifested the huge chunk of money I was after and more. I point this out not to brag but to say that I have physical proof that it actually worked.
    Generally speaking, the fantastic thing about the vast range of angles one can possibly take for alignment is that you can always go along with your natural inclinations, instead of fighting them.
    I haven't tried the swiss cheese process yet, but thanks for reminding me about it.

EaseAndFlow
    I had a conversation with a person on a different discussion board that has a different format (It's more like Q&A wiki and not a forum) with different focus (it's more focused on LoA) and feels very different than this place. But I want to share his reply here because I think it's on topic for this thread. This post is publicly available online so it's not like I'm posting a private message here.

...how to steer my focus in the way I want to has anything to do with being "disconnected" from my emotions

I guess that after years of "trial and error" it's so obvious to me in my own mind that I didn't even realize how someone can't see that connection between being able to steer the mind and emotions. So let me explain.

For years I used to be a very analytical and science-oriented person. I always thought that having and feeling emotions was somehow a bad thing and that applying logic to everything was the only way to live.

So I didn't feel much emotions or "ups and downs" because I used to train myself to shut emotions down and ignore them whenever I could. Because I (unconsciously) thought that feeling bad or strong emotions would make me inferior and vulnerable in some way. Of course, I didn't consciously know that at that time. Being logical and having no or fewer emotions was basically a way for me to survive in this world.

Even though I didn't feel much emotions, I could somehow tell that my life wasn't going in the direction I wanted. I was very unhappy without really feeling unhappy emotionally. Still, I was trying to apply logic to my situation. So for years, I read hundreds of books, went to scientific seminars etc to find out the logical reason for my unhappiness.

Every time I thought I had finally found a logical, scientific explanation/theory for my unhappiness and my, by then, miserable life, it followed by being disappointed that my life wasn't changing by that beautiful, logical explanation. Nothing was working.

Then after years of trying to shut down emotions and searching for logical answers, I suddenly started having massive panic attacks (out of nowhere it seemed). My heart was pounding like it was about to explode and I was sweating while sitting in my chair at home. I was feeling intense fear and panic. But this time I couldn't shut it down no matter how hard I tried. My emotions were basically telling me "Alright, Mr. Logic, it's time for you to finally get the message now".

So, to make a long story short, the only way for me to get rid of these panic attacks was to either take beautiful, logical, scientifically approved... drugs for the rest of my life (as it was suggested by a doctor) to help me shut my emotions down even further or to explore alternative ways. And it finally led me to realize that instead of trying to shut down my emotions, I needed to do the complete opposite of it. I needed to be emotionally sensitive to make my life work.

Now let me give you a logical explanation as to why you need to connect with your emotions (and become very sensitive to them) to be able to steer your mind and to make all of those techniques and methods work .

Emotions are the driver for everything. Without a profound awareness of one's emotions, one is basically lost. They are also the driver of any learning process that has the potential of actually improving life. Notice that I didn't say that they are the driver of intellectual learning aka gathering information that has no practical value for your life (other than completing crosswords). Because you don't need emotions for gathering theoretical information. But you need a profound awareness of emotions for improving your life in a tangible way. Here is why.

Imagine you are someone that doesn't feel any pain. And imagine that, as a child, you touch a hot stove. You look at your fingers and see that they have changed color because of the burn. You can even smell that they are burned. But you don't feel anything. So you just wonder what that phenomenon means. So you do it again and again to find a logical explanation. And you wonder why you can't understand it.

Your finger is terribly burned by now and you think that maybe it's not okay to touch the stove. So you ask your parents. And they tell you that it's not good for you and try to give you a logical, scientific explanation why burning is bad. You get it so you try to avoid stoves. But one day you just forget it and you lean on a hot stove while talking on the phone. Now you are badly burned. You know it's bad for you intellectually. But you haven't really learned.

You have a logical explanation but it's not enough. It's nothing you do subconsciously and automatically like driving a car. You always have to remind yourself. So it has no practical value for you. No matter how much you read about the science of burning, you will never learn. Because you don't have the required sensitivity for real, practical learning.

So it's similar to "steering your mind". If you don't feel subtle levels of pain and pleasure, you can't condition yourself appropriately on a subconscious level for learning mind-control techniques. And no matter how much you read about it... you will never learn unless you tune that emotional sensitivity way up.

And, as I mentioned, body-focused meditation techniques like the Mc˛Method are very good for this purpose. The more you can enhance your emotional sensitivity ("emotional connection" is actually the wrong word I guess, because you are always connected) the better and faster you will learn.

And you won't need anyone or any school of thought tell you what to do. You will become self-sufficient in learning and improve your life using any technique you find appropriate for you.

I hope I could convince a little bit why it's important for you to become more aware of your emotions.
    I feel like a lot of this is true about me. That I'm trying to use my logic and that I feel disconnected from my emotions. I can't say that I completely understand how he means that my issue to steer my mind has anyhing to do with feeling disconnected from my emotions, because I don't think there's anything subconscious going on like he was talking about. But it's certainly interesting, as my thread was about how I can practice steering my mind in the way I want to and didn't talk anything about disconnection from my emotions, but it was the first thing people replied with. I'm tired of using my logical mind and I want to become more emotional.

I don't like the idea of "feeling worse". I see "feeling worse" as an unwanted experience, so I've been trying to avoid feeling worse. This is an issue because my inner being doesn't see "feeling worse" as a negative thing. "Feeling worse" is emotional guidance. This is definitely something that I don't want to continue to do.

EaseAndFlow
    The MC2 method is helping me a lot right now. I thought it would be a meditation technique but it was actually about listening to all your "body energies" (both emotions and physical sensations), essentially the opposite of suppressing / ignoring / avoiding my emotions. So it's helpful to me right now as I sometimes seem to want to avoid feeling bad-feeling emotions.

I feel like I understand better now how to listen to my emotions. But I don't quite understand one thing as I thought we can only focus on one thing at a time. Is it possible to pay attention to your emotions at the same time as you're thinking/focusing on something? I mean, is it possible to notice "feeling better" without focusing on your emotions?

Quote Originally Posted by EaseAndFlow View Post
    The MC2 method is helping me a lot right now. I thought it would be a meditation technique but it was actually about listening to all your "body energies" (both emotions and physical sensations), essentially the opposite of suppressing / ignoring / avoiding my emotions. So it's helping me right now as I often seem to want to avoid feeling bad-feeling emotions.
    Let's please keep the focus here on the teachings of Abraham, but congratulations for finding something which works for you.

I feel like I understand better now how to listen to my emotions. But I don't quite understand one thing as I thought we can only focus on one thing at a time.
    In the exact instant, yes, you can only focus one thing at a time. But that instant is very brief. (That's why I'm using the term "instant.") We humans are multitaskers, probably more than is helpful to us these days. We're able to multitask because we can shift our focus instant by instant if we choose to do so. It's why you can eat a meal with friends whilst carrying on a conversation with them at the same time.

Is it possible to pay attention to your emotions at the same time as you're thinking/focusing on something?
    Sure. When you're at the table with your friends, you can be eat your meal and have your conversation. And through it all, you can be aware of whether you prefer that food on your plate or this food on your plate. You can be aware of whether you feel hurt or excited or bored in response to something someone said.

I mean, is it possible to notice "feeling better" without focusing on your emotions?
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "focusing on your emotions." You do need to pay attention to how you feel so that you can be aware of what you're feeling. It's sort of the same thing if you have a dessert plate (like they used to have in those fancy restaurants) with several different desserts on a single plate. Unless you're paying attention to how each of those desserts are tasting or looking or smelling, you'll have a hard time deciding which one of those you prefer. But I'm sure you're able to pay attention to the various desserts on your plate, whilst talking with your buds, and still come to your preference.

EaseAndFlow
    Let's please keep the focus here on the teachings of Abraham,
    Yeah.

In the exact instant, yes, you can only focus one thing at a time. But that instant is very brief. (That's why I'm using the term "instant.") We humans are multitaskers, probably more than is helpful to us these days. We're able to multitask because we can shift our focus instant by instant if we choose to do so. It's why you can eat a meal with friends whilst carrying on a conversation with them at the same time.
    Yes, I understand all of that. We can only focus/think about one thing at a time but we can shift our focus very quickly between different subjects.

Sure. When you're at the table with your friends, you can be eat your meal and have your conversation. And through it all, you can be aware of whether you prefer that food on your plate or this food on your plate. You can be aware of whether you feel hurt or excited or bored in response to something someone said.
    Hm, ok.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "focusing on your emotions." You do need to pay attention to how you feel so that you can be aware of what you're feeling. It's sort of the same thing if you have a dessert plate (like they used to have in those fancy restaurants) with several different desserts on a single plate. Unless you're paying attention to how each of those desserts are tasting or looking or smelling, you'll have a hard time deciding which one of those you prefer. But I'm sure you're able to pay attention to the various desserts on your plate, whilst talking with your buds, and still come to your preference.
    Okay, I think I understand now. We can always pay attention to how we feel but that is not the same as focusing / thinking about how we feel. It's two different things. Thanks for your reply.

Okay, I think I understand now. We can always pay attention to how we feel but that is not the same as focusing / thinking about how we feel. It's two different things. Thanks for your reply.
    Not in my book, they're not two different things. As I've told you before, "focusing upon", "thinking about", "paying attention to", "noticing", and "being aware of" are all different ways of saying essentially the same thing to me.

EaseAndFlow
    Not in my book, they're not two different things. As I've told you before, "focusing upon", "thinking about", "paying attention to", "noticing", and "being aware of" are all different ways of saying essentially the same thing to me.
    Ok, thank you.

EaseAndFlow
    Is there anything you can do to practice your ability to steer your mind and thoughts in the way you want to? For example if I want to use my mind right now to change the subject of my focus and think about kittens (or something else) right now, but seem unable to do so. Is there some way you can practice your ability to deliberately steer your mind in the way you want to? Thanks.

Is there anything you can do to practice your ability to steer your mind and thoughts in the way you want to? For example if I want to use my mind right now to change the subject of my focus and think about kittens (or something else) right now, but seem unable to do so. Is there some way you can practice your ability to deliberately steer your mind in the way you want to? Thanks.
    You answered your own question in your asking of it: you practice it. You attempt to do what you want to. You do it to the best of your ability. And then, when you are not doing it any longer, you attempt to do it again. Rinse, repeat. You keep practicing it until you are able to do what you want in the way you want to do it.

That's the way you learned everything that you do. It's no different here. There's no magic trick that makes this any different.

(And I would question your statement that you are "unable" to think about kittens. As HitC sometimes says, if someone put a gun to your head and told you, "Think about kittens or I'll blow your brains out," chances are you will be able to find a fleeting thought about a kitten.)

For example if I want to use my mind right now to change the subject of my focus and think about kittens (or something else) right now, but seem unable to do so.
    I don't buy that for a second. If you wanted to, you could write things about kittens in the same way that you've proven that you could write things about bubbles. If you wanted to, you could draw at least a rudimentary picture of a kitten. You could answer basic questions about kittens. You could tell us about an instance in your life where you've seen a kitten video, or encountered a kitten in person. This isn't rocket science, there isn't any trick to it. You don't have any problem thinking about kittens. You're still trying to use this as a way to fix how you feel rather than taking your attention off of how you feel and put it on kittens. In fact, I invite you to do any of those things right here, right now, instead of arguing why you can't do it, or why I've somehow misconstrued what you're doing. As WB points out, it's basic -- how do you do it? You just do it. PRACTICE. Whether that's forming an image of a kitten in your mind, putting words together relating to kittens, repeating the word "kitten" to yourself in any language you know, remembering encounters with kittens, imagining an encounter with a kitten, drawing a kitten, sculpting a kitten out of clay, or wondering about the origin of the word "kitten," it's simply a matter of using your attention on the topic of kittens. The only issue is that if you're noticing how you don't feel differently, that's not something that relates to kittens.