Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technical question about viewing threads.

Quote Originally Posted by WellBeing View Post
    Actually, I may have been incorrect. I'm not sure that you'll be able to what you want to do (show the oldest thread first when viewing a sub-forum) from the Settings page.

If you cannot find a setting to do that for you on the Settings page, then you can go to the Home page of a sub-forum. When you click on the headers above each column, the Forum software will sort the threads by that column (either newest first or oldest first--Just click to switch between one and the other. A little triangle next to the column heading will let you know which is the column being sorted and in which direction it's being sorted). I think the closest you would get to what you're wanting to do is to click on the Last Post By heading
    Neither I can see the 'general settings' nor I m getting what you mean when you explained the other way to do it.
    What column are you suggesting??
    Please help!!
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirti View Post
    Neither I can see the 'general settings'
    First off, are you viewing the Forum through a web browser or a forum-reading app like Tapatalk? If you're using an app like Tapatalk, I can't help you but I understand that Tapatalk have an active user Forum, where you can get help. You might want to try there. If you're viewing the Forum through a web browser, I can help you with that. (Please note, even if you're viewing the Forum through a web browser, if you're on a mobile device, you might have to select Request Desktop Version in your browser's settings in order to see the options as I'm describing them.)

If you're viewing the Forum through a web browser and you are viewing the Desktop Version, can you describe more specifically what's going on for you?

Can you not see the Settings link in the upper right corner of the masthead (found atop every page of this Forum)? Or does nothing happen when you click on that link? Because that's how you get to your Settings page. Or is something else going on?

When you're on your Settings page, along the left side of that page, you should see a navigation menu arranged in a column, divided by sections. The heading of the first section should read "My Messages." Then comes "My Subscriptions" and finally "My Settings," which is divided into more suitable headings. Do you not see the left-hand navigation bar? Or does it read something different than what I'm describing here? If so, could you please describe that different thing you're seeing?

If you're still with me, in the "My Settings" section, you'll first see a section headed "My Profile," then "My Account." Do you see that? Under "My Account," the second link is to "General Settings." Is it not there for you? If not, what do you see as all your options under "My Account"?

If there is something else that's going on for you, could you please describe it as specifically as you can so that we might be able to effectively assist you?

...nor I m getting what you mean when you explained the other way to do it.
    Please help!!
    Thanks in advance.
    First, you'll have to get to the homepage of the sub-forum you're interested in. From here, there are two ways of doing that (Again, this is if you're viewing the Forum with a web browser.):

The fast way: At the bottom of every thread page, in the right underneath the thread, there's a pull-down menu which reads "Quick Naivgation." When you click on that pull-down menu, you'll see it's divided into two sections, the first one being "Site Areas," then "Forums."

Under the Forums heading, select the sub-forum you're interested in by clicking on its name. You'll be taken to that sub-forum's homepage, which is the listing of all the threads for that sub-forum.

The longer way: Click on Forum tab or the Forum Home link. Both are in the lower left corner of the masthead atop every page of this Forum. You'll see the list of all the Forum's sub-fora with their descriptions. Click on the title of the sub-forum you're interested in. (See? That wasn't that much longer.)

However you get to the sub-forum's homepage, across the top of the list of that sub-forum's threads, you'll see two header bars. In the default settings, they appear to me to be a light grey header bar with a medium blue header bar just below it. (Your colors might vary, if you've personalized your color settings for the Forum.)

Look at that header bar directly above the list of threads. (For me and my default settings, that's the medium blue header bar.) It reads, from left to right, "Title/Thread Starter", "Replies/Views", "Last Post By."

You're asking about the Last Post By header. The Forum software is currently sorting your threads in whichever way you've set your Settings. (And we're still working to get that sorted for you.) However you've set your Settings, you can click on that Last Post By.

The Forum software will then sort that list of threads by when the last post was posted to that thread. When the Forum software has sorted the list of threads by Last Post By, it puts a small black triangle next to the Last Post By header.

If that small triangle is pointing up, that means it's sorting the list of threads so that threads with the oldest Last posts are at the top of the thread and the threads with the newest Last Posts are at the bottom of the list. If the triangle is pointing down, that's telling you that the software is sorting the threads so that the threads with the most recent Last Posts are at the top and the threads with the oldest posts are at the bottom. If there's no triangle next to Last Post, that means you haven't yet clicked on the Last Post By header and the Forum software is sorting your list of threads by some different criterion.

Hope that helps.

EaseAndFlow
    Neither I can see the 'general settings' nor I m getting what you mean when you explained the other way to do it.
    Please help!!
    Thanks in advance.
    Click on this link (while logged in) to go to the General Settings page. Then scroll all the way down to the "Thread Display Mode" option and change it to "Linear - Oldest first" if that's the mode you want, then click on Save Changes.

Red face

Thank you so much.
    Its sorted out
    You people are amazing.