Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Common Questions about the Abe Forum

Commonly Asked Questions Index

Commonly Asked Questions Index

About the Abe Forum
    What is the Abe Forum?
    What is the Purpose and Intent of the Abe Forum?
    How can I donate to the Abe Forum?
    What are the requirements for membership on the Abe Forum?
    What are the policies of the Abe Forum?
    What if I don't understand a piece of the Abe Forum policies?
    What happens if I run afoul of the Abe Forum policies?

General Questions
    Who is Abraham?
    How do I learn more about Abraham and their teachings?
    In which order should I read the books? Does it matter?
    What is the Abe Forum?
    What is the Purpose and Intent of the Abe Forum?

Getting Around the Abe Forum

How do I...
    ...Get help working with the features of this Forum?
    ...Open a thread?

...Edit my post?
    ...Reply to a thread?
    ...Quote a post?
    ...Quote multiple passages of a single reply?
    ...Change the order in which I see the posts or threads?
    ...Format my posts?
    ...Delete my posts?
    Is there a live chat feature on the Abe Forum?

How do I get a picture next to my posts?
    What's the difference between my Avatar and my Profile picture?
    I've set up my Profile picture but it's not showing next to my posts. What gives?
    I have questions about Posting on the Abe Forum.
    In which sub-forum should I open my thread?
    Emoticons--How do I get them?
    Is there a setting to remember my preferred formatting for my posts?

You guys use a lot of unusual abbreviations around here. How can I understand them?

Getting Started with Abraham
    Who is Abraham?
    How do I learn more about Abraham and their teachings?
    In which order should I read the books? Does it matter?
    Why don't you guys allow links to the many clips on the Internet?
    I'm learning about Abraham from the clips I see on the Internet. Is that bad?

Help
    How do I get help working with the features of this Forum?
    How do I get help with a life problem?
    I've forgotten my password. What should I do?
    I can't log onto my account! How can I get in touch with you guys?
    I've forgotten where a moderator moved my post! Please help.

Membership
    What are the requirements for membership on the Abe Forum?
    I've registered as a member but I haven't heard back yet.
    How do I close my member account on the Abe Forum?

Pictures
    How do I post a picture on the Abe Forum?
    What are the Image Posting Policies on the Abe Forum?
    How can I tell if my picture is pasted or "linked"?
    How do I get a picture next to my posts?
    What's the difference between my Avatar and my Profile picture?
    I've set up my Profile picture but it's not showing next to my posts. What gives?

Posting on the Abe Forum
    How do I...
    ...Open a thread?

...Reply to a thread?
    ...Edit my posts?
    ...Refer my reply to a member upthread?
    ...Quote a post?
    ...Format my posts?
    ...Delete my posts?
    ...Delete my threads?
    Emoticons--How do I get them?

Is there a setting to remember my preferred formatting for my posts?

I got disconnected before I could submit my post! How did that happen?
    I've forgotten where a moderator moved my post! Please help.
    Why was...
    ...My thread moved?

...My thread closed?
    ...My thread deleted?

Technical Questions
    How do I...
    ...Get help working with the features of this Forum?

...Change my Username on the Abe Forum?
    ...Get a picture next to my posts?
    ...Suggest improvements to this Abe Forum CQ thread?

I see a page that says the "Website is offline." What should I do?
    Is there a live chat feature on the Abe Forum?
    Tapatalk and the Abe Forum don't seem to be working together.
    Help! I got disconnected before I could submit my post! How did that happen?
    I've forgotten my password! What should I do?

Top of the Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 10:52 PM.

What is the Abe Forum?

What is the Abe Forum?

The Abe Forum is a discussion forum whose primary intention is the appreciation and discussion of the teachings of Abraham, as translated by Esther Hicks.

The Abe Forum is not an official part of, nor owned or operated by Abraham-Hicks Publications.

We are pleased to have attracted students of Abraham from all over the world. Although quite a number of our Forum friends have been studying these teachings for many years, we are all students, with something to learn from and to give in every interaction.

Because we are a global community, we are used to discussing all forms of topics related to these teachings with people of varying levels of skills in English. As Abraham teach, most communication between us is done vibrationally. So, come on in and join the fun!

Top of thread
    Table of Contents
    About the Abe Forum Index
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 01:14 PM.

The Purpose and Intention of the Abe Forum

The Purpose and Intention of the Abe Forum

The Abe Forum is for the discussion of the TEACHINGS OF ABRAHAM.

Focus and intent are important skills for the successful application of these teachings so we hold quite narrowly to the focus and intent with which this Forum was launched.

While the Abe Forum is an excellent place to learn about the Teachings of Abraham, we do assume that members who wish to post here have provided themselves at least a rudimentary understanding of the teachings by acquiring some of the materials offered by Abraham-Hicks. Find them at http://www.Abraham-Hicks.com.

And we expect that your new thread will discuss how you are ALREADY USING the teachings in your life. The Abe Forum is not a hotline, nor is it an advice column. As Abraham have said,

We don’t want you to ever see us as the sounding board for the unveiling of problems. We want you to see us as the support system of everything that you are and everything that you’re asking for. We want you to understand that your Vortex is the sounding board for all of the wonderful things…
    --Abraham, West L.A., 1/29/11
    It is worth giving your thread title a bit of thought, and also giving a little thought to how your post FEELS before you hit "send" or "reply". With that understanding, you can post here no matter where you are right now on the Emotional Guidance Scale. After all, Abraham says: "Where you are is where you are"!. When in doubt as to whether a thread starter is appropriate, you can always Private Message (PM) any of the moderators (you'll find a list of our moderators here and at the bottom of the home page of the each sub-forum), as many members already do. It is not necessary, but it is fine to do if you are wondering about that, or anything!

I think you will agree that adhering to these guidelines will help this forum maintain its difference and its special feeling.

David likes to say that the Forum should feel just like an Abraham-Hicks Vortex of Creation workshop. I know most of you have not yet attended a workshop in person, and it's our honor and pleasure to provide this space in which to feel, hopefully, some of the love and truth that abounds there. And it is our intention to keep the vibration of that alive in this little corner of cyberspace.

David and my co-moderators could not possibly personally acknowledge all of the appreciation you send us daily - here on the forum and by PM and email, but please know that it is more than mutual. The forum is what it is because, yes, of David's vision, but much more so because of the membership's daily and hourly bringing of joy and love to this space.

If you are new to the Abe Forum and have not yet posted, please read a bit first to get a feeling for the tenor of the conversation here. Then feel free to join in. We are blessed by your presence and your intentions.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-14-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Meet the Moderators

Meet the Moderators

At the Abe Forum, we have attracted an exceptional, volunteer team of moderators to support the operations of this Forum. Each of them have in-depth knowledge of these teachings of Abraham. Their diverse backgrounds and interests as well as their on-going application of these teachings to their own lives can make them invaluable mentors in your own study.

Our moderators hold the vibrational intention of this Forum. One of their most important roles is to guide the focus of Forum discussions towards our shared intention of discussing these teachings and towards your Vortex. However, they cannot do this by themselves and, therefore, they rely on your intention, your focus and your own reaching for your Vortex. It is, as Abraham say, co-creation at its best.

You can find a list of our moderators here. There are also lists, with links, at the bottom of the home page of each sub-forum. Clicking on those name links will take you to the profile page of that moderator, where you can easily send to that moderator a Private Message (PM). Although the Forum software distinguishes between "Moderators" and "Super-Moderators," as far we are concerned, we are all vibrationally and functionally the same. Any moderator can assist you with your Forum issues. Our moderators are scattered around the globe. So, a moderator is almost always available no matter what time of the day you're on the Forum.

Part of our intention for our Forum is that it be a safe, uplifting place, focused on Abraham's teachings and free from harassment and commercial solicitation. You can do your part by lining up vibrationally with that experience for yourself and by flagging any posts you encounter which do not comply with the policies or intentions of the Forum.

In the unlikely event that you find yourself on the receiving end of a moderator's action, please do your best to be in the receptive mode to the correction the moderator is asking of you. Please be assured that the discussion concerns your behavior and not your essence. Some people may experience negative emotion in such instances but, fortunately, we are Abers. We know that all emotion is guidance and we have tools and techniques to attend to the guidance of negative emotion.

Please be aware that discussion in the open threads of moderator actions is considered to be off-topic. Such posts will be edited or deleted. If you would like to discuss a moderator's action, please address your remarks, by Private Message, to the moderator who took that action, as they will have the most complete information with which to discuss your comments and concerns. If, for some reason, you'd prefer to speak to someone else, our team of moderators and administrators are available to you. However, please keep in mind that these "third parties" won't have full understanding of the situation, so their answers to you may be delayed (as they research the situation) or may seem incomplete to you.

Our moderators donate much time, energy, knowledge and experience to make this Forum a fun, useful and rewarding resource for you.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Moderator List

Moderator List

At the time of this writing, our team of moderators ("the Mod Squad") includes (by screen name):

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Membership on the Abe Forum currently is offered graciously without charge to all members. Donations are neither required nor expected of any member of the Abe Forum. However, those members who wish to show their appreciation of the Abe Forum can make a donation here.

If you have specific questions about donations to the Abe Forum, please feel free to Private Message, David, founder of the Abe Forum.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Common Questions Index
    Membership Index
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Our Image Posting Policy

Our Image Posting Policy

Compared to other places on the Internet, we have a unique policy regarding the posting of images in threads on the Abe Forum. So, we appreciate your taking the time to review this policy.

As you know, focus is a important skill for the successful application of these teachings. In this modern world in which we live, most of us have to redevelop their skills to be able to focus in a productive manner. Our Image Posting policy was designed to encourage our focusing skills.

So, we ask that you post pictures (Emoticons or smileys aren't affected by this policy.) in the following sub-forums only:
    We also ask that your image or picture

• be related to the topic of the thread closely and
    • adds substance and information to the discussion underway in a way that words alone cannot.

We ask these things so that our discussion stay focused on the topic being discussed without being overloaded with images that take the thread over. Your cooperation with this policy also results in a thread that is easier and faster to read with less scrolling.

In keeping with the spirit of our Linking and Promotion-Free policies, we have two additional requests of the images you post:
    The images you post must ALL BE FREE OF URL's in them. (URL's are what many people call "web addresses.")

The images you post must NOT BE ACTIVE LINKS TO A SITE NOT PERMITTED BY OUR LINKING POLICY. For the complete list of sites permitted, see our Linking Policy.

Here's a thorough explanation of this unique policy by one of our moderators of the Abe Forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Hands in the Clay View Post
    Let me lay out my “take” on this new policy, being an image-poster myself:

Here at the Forum, one of the reasons it’s such a GOOD forum is that we, the Admin/Mod crew and David from the start ( as this Forum is his baby) are willing to do things to keep it aligned with a very high-quality vision, even when those things we do might ruffle a few feathers.

When I was in my pre-teens, I remember walking out into the backyard to discover my grandfather, who was visiting, heartlessly pruning the luxuriant forsythia bush. And I just freaked! I was enraged, in tears, pulled on his arm, screamed for my mother, and couldn’t see any way he could justify cutting off the branches of a beautiful plant that was doing just fine on its own, and doing the murderous chopping to suit the preferences of some crotchety, cruel, unnatural human. I didn’t understand the principle, or value, of pruning.

We could let the Forum just slither down into the world of ordinary forums, where flaming and spammers and trolls and irrelevant comments and images thrive. But we won't. And we don't.

Our choice to limit the use of photos on most of the sub-forums could be compared with, say, cooking practices. The new arrival at the restaurant kitchens points out how much electricity and time could be saved if they started microwaving most of the dishes. And the head chef refuses and insists they be baked in the oven for however long it takes to get the desired result, because the flavor is better and s/he believes that the microwave diminishes the soul of the dish.

Images can be very helpful for illustrating or expanding on a principle in a discussion. But they can also be used as a way of “tossing in a witty remark” or “quipping” that can be distracting and, even though it seems totally pertinent to you, it still detracts from the focus of the discussion.

Let’s say someone just posted that they feel they’ve leapt forward in their understanding of how to find a better-feeling thought. You, in your desire to support and congratulate them, go online/to a photo bucket/whatever your source, and do a search, and do a download/upload, and post an icanhazcheezburger shot of a kitten flying through the air with some funny leap-related remark embedded in the image. You think, “A leap…get it? Haha!” Now that “comment” becomes much more than a member’s thoughts on the subject. Now the discussion contains, for you and the others on the thread….. leaping kittens. Wow, that looks like my sister’s cat. Or is it a thrown kitten? Oh, gee, animal cruelty…that reminds me of that flying kitten video, those kitties in capes, I bet that guy threw those kittens himself…. And that reminds me of that other icanhazcheezburger image I saw, I could post that and piggyback on that funny kitten image there, another animal shot, this time it’s a bulldog leaping for a Frisbee….oh, we’ve got an animal theme going now! Cool! How about finding one with leaping lizards!

So you, and perhaps others, start leaving the thread for a while to search images. Post them. Or just focus on the image and let the thoughts flow... and a myriad of other, subtle topics have come into play.

You would never even consider congratulating the person who’s had a leap in understanding by typing, “Imagine a kitten flying through the air, frozen there, legs splayed and eyes wide, and underneath the kitten it says, ‘OK, you can press play now!’ Hahahahahaaaaa!” Yet you might not hesitate to leave the thread to find and post that very image, and it’s just as distracting!

What Abraham say to hotseaters, who insert conversational detours when Abe are honing in on a reply, is, “Here’s the thing about focus…” Focus is a primordial concept in putting the Teachings into practice. And focus is something that is challenged on a daily basis in our fast-paced, text-while-driving, email-at-the-dinner-table, 600-cable-channels world. Why do you think Abraham recommend less TV? Less time on email? Quiet time with your thoughts? Being deliberate in paying attention to how you feel throughout the day? It's about focus.

You may feel that the image captures what you want to say, but many times (not all the time, but many times, that’s what we’re clearly saying here), it simply diffuses your focus and the focus of the discussion by drawing in all these subtle shifts of focus, all these other thoughtway deflections, and serves as a focus splatterer. Why not just type “I’m so thrilled for you! Congratulations! I remember how great that leap felt to me when the lightbulb went off last year…” and stay PRESENT in the discussion? Focused on what’s taking place on the thread, what the person wrote? Rather than leaving to do an image search that leads to a focus-splatter?

But we also very much know that pictures trigger good feelings, lead you and others to smile (hopefully), convey feelings of wealth, etc. and we totally, totally get that and support that. So there’s a PLACE for that in the new sub-forum. And we’re not precluding photos in other sub-forums. Just think before you post a photo and make sure it enhances the discussion in a very real way. Make sure it is relevant to the topic of the thread. And give consideration to using words instead of images. Old-fashioned, yes, but it keeps you focused.

Remember, I’m the biggest image-poster on the Moderator team, OK? I like posting the GPS image of Phoenix to San Diego because it’s a great reminder of how the EGS works and the Abe analogy. The finger tracing a groove in the sand to illustrate Abraham’s “thought pathways” analogy. Posting the covers of Abe books. I post quippy images on TonyCat’s threads. So this policy affects me, too. We’re saying, Think before you post an image, and make sure the image is a highly relevant contribution to the discussion and/or enhances an actual act of practicing the Teachings.

As for URLs in images, they’ve always been disallowed per the guidelines (you've read them, haven't you?). They’re just more common now, so it seems like a greater "injustice." Yes, all those image sites have gotten clever and realized that their stuff is being used right and left on forums, and therefore could be used as a vehicle for copyright assertion and advertising!! Smart cookies!! But we’re not an advertising medium here. So if you can’t Photoshop out the URL or find a photo without one (and how many minutes of non-focus does that lead to???? All for the sake of putting up a photo, for heaven’s sake???), don’t put it up. If you do, and we see it, it will get zapped.

Again, this is my own interpretation of the policy, and this policy will curtail some of my own photo posting. Yet I am one of its proponents!! Yet I feel your pain! So my ONLY JOB is to find a way to feel better, now.

We’re all in this together!!!

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    The Abe Forum Policies Index
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-07-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Our Linking Policy

Our Linking Policy

Live links which point to other threads or posts within the Abe Forum are permitted and can add richness and clarity to our discussion.

Live links in posts which point outside of the Forum are allowed ONLY IF they point to one of the following or have links from the below directly:

Abraham-Hicks Publications' domains (www.Abraham-Hicks.com)

Abraham Appreciators page (www.AbrahamAppreciators.com)

Abraham Singles Internet meeting resource (www.AbrahamSingles.com)

The official Abraham-Hicks YouTube channel (www.YouTube.com/AbrahamHicks)

Please be aware that disguising links as text (e.g., "sitename [dot] org") and suggestions to search specific search terms are considered by us to effectively act as a URL or live link and may not be posted.

Even though the Forum software provides each of us a space for it, we ask that you not post anything which functions as a web address (e.g., your business' home page, your Facebook page, your blog, your art.com page, your LinkedIn profile, your Instagram account, etc.) in your Profile. The moderators will edit your Profile to remove the address.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Quoting Guidelines

Quoting Guidelines

The nature of our discussion here leads naturally to a lot of "quoting" going on, and this is a good thing!

A few guidelines to make it an even better thing:

When quoting Abraham:

• Please keep quotes "fairly" brief - no real rule here, just keep in mind that it's copyrighted material so we don't want to go "on and on".
    • Reference quotes clearly.
      • If you are transcribing from an audio source - clearly state that fact and which tape/CD/video/whatever you are quoting.
      • If you are quoting from a written source - clearly state where the quote begins and ends, and as much information about the source as you have available.
      • If you are quoting from an online source (such as a clip), simply state the complete title of the clip. Please do not include poster's channel name or a URL and please do not direct Forum members to any site which is not owned or operated by the owner of the Abe Forum or by Abraham-Hicks Publications. (For more information about this request, please see our Linking Policy.)

Of course often we are "quoting" from memory, and this is perfectly fine as long as that's not more than a couple of lines (unless there are some elephants on the board :smile ) and it's not necessary to reference exactly where you heard it, as long as you say "Abraham says..." or "I heard Abraham say.... or similar... since you may have heard it countless times. Examples of this are "Life is supposed to be fun" and "Get in the Vortex".

When quoting other Forum Members:

There are two ways to reply in a thread:

1. Click "Reply". The editor will open up with a blank window for you to type your reply. It is usually assumed that your comments refer to the first post in the thread, or to the post directly above yours. In these cases "quoting" is usually not necessary.

OR if you wish to respond to a particular part of a previous post:

2. Instead of clicking "reply", click "Reply With Quote" under the post in the thread you wish to quote. In this case, the editor will open with the full text of that post showing.

When using the "Reply With Quote" option, please remember:

• Do not use this feature if your post is to be a direct response to the previous post. Doing this simply makes that post appear twice in a row, with your response below, making the thread cumbersome.
    • Always edit the post you are quoting. In most cases, you do not need to have the entire previous post showing in yours, but only the relevant portion to which your reply is a response. It's easy to edit. Just place the cursor inside the quote box and delete any portion that is not necessary. Delete any signatures, emoticons, and extra spaces. The software automatically tells us "so and so wrote...."
    • Try to quote as small an amount of the previous text as possible and still make your point, so that members who read the thread later do not have to read a long text several times or scroll to find new material.
    • Please write your own comments OUTSIDE the quote box so that it is obvious where the "so and so wrote" ends, and you begin.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-14-2017 at 12:33 PM.

One Person, One Account Policy

One Person, One Account Policy

As Abers, we here on the Abe Forum understand the importance of focus. To encourage that focus, we ask that each person participating on the Abe Forum focus themselves into a single account. If we discover that a person has more than one open account here on the Abe Forum, we will ask you which account you would like to keep. We will then merge your other account(s) into the one that you have selected. Please be aware that once such a merge is accomplished, it cannot be undone.

If you do not respond to our inquiry in a timely manner, in the interest of clarity on the Abe Forum, we may make that decision for you.

If you have additional questions about this policy, please feel free to send a Private Message to a moderator and we'll be happy to answer them for you. Click here for a list of moderators.

If you have questions about changing your Username, click here.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Abe Forum Policies Index
    Last edited by WellBeing; 06-15-2016 at 02:19 PM.