Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Common Questions about the Abe Forum

I got disconnected before I could submit my post! How did that happen?

I got disconnected before I could submit my post! How did that happen?

Ugh! We all can relate to the frustration of drafting a lengthy, insightful reply only to have it vanish into the Internet ethers. The most common reason for this is some sort of Internet or browser glitch, which is beyond our control.

However, there is one reason specific to the Abe Forum that we want to tell you about. For a variety of technical reasons (and we won't bore you with those right now), the Abe Forum servers are set to reset any connection to it, if that connection has been idle for 30 minutes.

When we are composing our brilliant replies, that's done on our devices. The Abe Forum servers don't see our activity, so the servers think we are "idle" (even though we're being actively insightful). So, the clock begins and, if we take too long, our connection is reset.

Here are some work-arounds that we use:

If you want to compose your post in a leisurely fashion, it's best to draft your post in some independent text-editing program or app. That way you won't be affected by this quirk of the servers. When you've said what you want to say and in the way that you want to say it, you can simply copy-and-paste your post into the Abe Forum software.

• It's a good idea to double-check how your post looks. If you're replying to a thread, you can double-check how your post looks by clicking the Go Advanced button underneath the Quick Reply box. You'll be taken to the Advanced Editing page, where you'll find a Preview Post button underneath (if you're replying)
    • This is also a good idea to use any time you're going to devote some time to any reply, particularly if you're on a sporadic Wi-Fi or mobile Internet connection. You never know when the service might momentarily be disrupted.

If you started composing your reply directly into the Abe Forum software and you're encroaching on that 30-minute time limit, you can get a little clever (but there's more risk to this method):

• Use your browser's copy function to copy what you've written so far. (If you'd like extra protection, paste that copy into a separate, independent text-editing program or app and save it.) Then click Go Advanced, then Preview Post (if you only have Preview Post, click that). This can show the servers that you are still active and usually resets that 30-minute clock. (The copying is your back-up "just in case.")

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Commonly Asked Questions Index
    Posting on the Abe Forum Index
    Technical Questions Index
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 01:46 PM.

I've forgotten where a moderator moved my post! Please help.

I've forgotten where a moderator moved my post! Please help.

If you happen to forget where the new home for your thread now is, you can find reminders in two places:

• You can look in your Profile. (Use the link in the upper right corner of the masthead atop every page of the Abe Forum.) There you can use the Find latest started threads link, which will list all of the threads you've started.
    • Chances are you have your Subscriptions settings set to that you automatically subscribe to the threads you have started. If this is the case, then you can also locate your thread through your Subcriptions list. You can find your Subscriptions list, through the Quick Links pull-down menu (in the bottom bar of the masthead atop every page of the Abe Forum) or through the tab on your Profile page.

You can always send a Private Message to one of our Moderators but, to be honest, we're just going to look at your Find lastest started threads link, which you can do yourself.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Getting Around the Abe Forum Index

Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Why was my thread moved?

Why was my thread moved?

Our moderators have a lot of experience with the vibrations and intentions of the different sub-forums here on the Abe Forum. Sometimes, one of them will decide that your thread is a better vibrational match to the intentions of a sub-forum other than the one you have selected. (If you'd like to know more about the intention of each sub-forum, you'll find a brief description of each sub-forum on the Abe Forum home page along with supplemental descriptions in this thread.) So, they will move your thread. But don't worry! We always leave an expiring redirect link in your thread's old location, pointing you to the new home for your thread. Please note: the redirect link we leave does expire (usually in a matter of days). So, it's a wise idea to learn where the new home for your thread now is.

If you happen to forget where the new home for your thread now is, you can find reminders in two places:

• You can look in your Profile. (Use the link in the upper right corner of the masthead atop every page of the Abe Forum.) There you can use the Find latest started threads link, which will list all of the threads you've started.
    • Chances are you have your Subscriptions settings set to that you automatically subscribe to the threads you have started. If this is the case, then you can also locate your thread through your Subscriptions list. You can find your Subscriptions list, through the Quick Links pull-down menu (in the bottom bar of the masthead atop every page of the Abe Forum) or through the tab on your Profile page.

You can always send a Private Message to one of our Moderators but, to be honest, we're just going to look at your Find latest started threads link, which you can do yourself.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Getting Around the Abe Forum Index
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Why was my thread closed?

Why was my thread closed?

On rare occasions, a moderator might decide to close a thread. The most common reason (although not the only reason) for closing a thread is that the topic of discussion was not in alignment with the intentions or vibration of the Abe Forum in the first place and that the thread attracted replies before a moderator could correct the situation. Whatever the reason, when a moderator closes your thread, we usually make an explanatory announcement in the thread (if it's appropriate) or send you an explanatory note by Private Messenger. The announcements in the thread are not intended to publicly shame anyone (Fortunately for us Abers, we know that "shame" is guidance and so, we know that we can tend to our guidance.). Sometimes, it's necessary and appropriate to efficiently and simultaneously inform all thread participants of the moderator's decision.

If you have any particular questions about your specific situation, please feel free to contact the moderator in question through the Abe Forum Private Message system.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents

Why was my thread deleted?

Why was my thread deleted?

Occasionally, a moderator may decide to delete a thread. We know that's an extreme action so we only like to use that option as a last resort. If a moderator decides to delete a thread that you have started, typically we'll send you a Private Message briefly explaining why we have done so.

If you have additional questions about that explanation, it's most productive to use the Private Message function of the Abe Forum to ask those questions of the moderator who closed your thread and who sent you that explanation.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents

How do I delete my post?

How do I delete my post?

We each have the ability to delete our own posts (Please note that only a moderator can delete a thread.) within a reasonable time after we've first submitted that post. (Click here if you'd like to read an explanation of that "reasonable time.") Sometimes, that's a handy feature.

However, before you jump into that "action journey" of deleting your post, consider this: "Is this an opportunity to practice my Abraham skills, of feeling better with needing the condition of my post to change first?" And we ask that you carefully consider exercising your ability to delete your post if other Forum friends have already replied to your post.

That being said, if you still want to delete your own post:

1. Look for the Edit Post link underneath the post that you'd like to delete. If that link is available to you, that means you still have the ability to delete your own post.
    2. Click on Edit Post and you'll be presented with a text box for editing your post. Under that text box to the right, locate the Delete button.
    3. Click on the Delete button.
    4. Under the Delete button, a message which reads "Delete this post in the following manner. You'll need to confirm that you want to delete your post by clicking the circle labeled "Delete Message" AND by clicking the Delete Post to the lower right.

If you do not see the Edit Post link underneath the post that you'd like to delete, that means that you no longer have the ability to delete your own post. If you still want to delete that post, please send a Private Message to a moderator (Click here for a list of moderators.) with a link to the post or the post number of the post in question. At that point, the moderator will decide if deleting your post is still the best option. (Click here to read more about our Policy regarding the Deletion of Posts and Threads.)

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 01:47 PM.

How do I change my Username on the Abe Forum?

How do I change my Username on the Abe Forum?

Occasionally, the Username we'd selected is no longer appropriate. Here at the Abe Forum, we can change that. Simply send a Private Message to David with the name you'd like to select next. It's a good idea to first search our member list to make sure that someone hasn't already chosen that name.

Please keep in mind that our Username is our primary way of identifying our Forum friends, so it gets confusing if Usernames are changed frequently. With that in mind, if you do wish to change your Username, consider your choice carefully and select a Username that you can live with for a while.

Also, as a general rule, we do not announce changes in Usernames, so you'll have to alert your Forum friends to your new Username yourself.

If you have additional questions about this topic, please feel free to send a Private Message to a moderator. (Click here for a list of moderators.)

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents

How do I get a picture next to my posts?

How do I get a picture next to my posts?

If you click on Settings link (in the upper right corner of the masthead atop of every page of the Abe Forum), that'll take you to your personal Settings page. In the left-hand navigation column of the Settings page, you'll see an option called "Edit Avatar." Click on that and follow the prompts.

Your Profile Picture appears on your Profile page. Your Avatar (Some of us like to call them "Abe-atar's") appears next to your posts.

If you believe that you've set up your Avatar, but the picture you've set up doesn't show up next to your posts, double-check to make sure that you didn't set up your Profile Picture instead of your Avatar.

Please remember that the Abe Forum is a public forum on the Internet. We are visited by many more "guests" than registered members each day. We are regularly visited each day by the automated programs of search engines, which continuously scoop up our content for their own uses. Please keep these realities of the Internet in mind when you post your images, either in the threads (conforming to our Image Posting Policy) or next to your posts or Profile. Furthermore, we remind you to use your sense of common courtesy when posting pictures of children and loved ones as part of your Avatar or Profile pictures.

If this does not sufficiently answer your questions, please open up a thread in our Technical Questions sub-forum, asking the question you'd like answered.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Pictures on the Abe Forum Index

I see a page that says the "Website is offline." What should I do?

I see a page that says the "Website is offline." What should I do?

That page is presented by one of the many services we use to keep the Abe Forum available to you as much as possible. However, occasionally, even these supporting systems have their problems.

If you see this page, don't worry. The extended team of the Abe Forum is on it and the situation typically rights itself in a matter of minutes.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Is there a live chat feature on the Abe Forum?

Is there a live chat feature on the Abe Forum?

While we have many cool and useful features here on the Abe Forum, at this time, we do not have a live chat function on the Abe Forum. However, this is an active forum and many of our members are extremely responsive. So, we have found that discussions here on the Abe Forum can approximate the interactiveness of live chat.

For those Forum friends who want true live chat features, you have some options:

If this does not sufficiently answer your questions, please open up a thread in our Technical Questions sub-forum, asking the question you'd like answered.

Top of Thread
    Table of Contents
    Last edited by WellBeing; 03-15-2017 at 01:48 PM.