Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Tis the season (for appreciation)!

'Tis the season (for appreciation)!

Here in the US we're entering the season of giving thanks, which I like to re-brand as appreciation.

I'm already leaning towards appreciation on many topics as a general state of being but I want more!! I've been feeling urges to get more and more specific, on topics big and small, and I figured this thread would be a great way to do it. I'm excited already!

• My job. I love it. I like the work, it's interesting and I can take my time when I want to, and have plenty of time to goof off. I can be late and leave early. I have lots of responsibility and direct access to the big boss whenever I want it. I get tons of positive feedback on a regular basis (my favorite is when I hand in a project and my boss just replies, 'perfect!').

• My coworkers. They are the best. They are funny and smart and I genuinely like them. Many times we hang out outside of work and it's really fun. I feel like, wherever the future take us, I will stay good friends with several of them for years to come. In some cases I know their families- kids, husbands and wives, even parents. It's like a family. I feel so secure and happy here.

• My home. My home is beautiful and special and the hubbs and I are working to make it even more lovely and cozy. We're having two thanksgivings this year and I can't wait to welcome all those people into our new space which is coming together beautifully. It's important to me that my home is pretty, and tidy, and quiet- a sanctuary. I love to wake up early when it's really quiet and play soft music and light a candle as I wake up and get ready to start the day.

• I'm getting a fancy new watch today! I'm SO excited. The old one broke and I got full credit to get a new one, even though I never signed up for the warranty and even though I originally bought it with a huge discount- so I actually made money on the deal! Several hundred dollars. Pretty cool.

• I'm really really really loving this time of year. The city where I live is just magical right now with all the fall colors, and it will only get better and better through the end of the year. Sweaters, boots, scarves, gloves, hats...fun projects to do like making big blanket scarves and carving pumpkins into autumnal shapes that our guests will ooh and aah over (and I bought a pumpkin carving kit last week on sale for 49 cents!), scented candles, candles EVERYWHERE, pine cones, cinnamon sticks, mulled wine, paper snowflakes, glitter, sparkle lights, holiday music, fireplaces, whiskey (neat, of course), holiday movies, quiet moments spent with family and friends, laughter, exchanging gifts, looking forward to the first snow of the season, favorite holiday meals and dishes served, walks in the park with leaves falling all around, big chunky winter turtleneck sweaters with skinny jeans and sleek boots, playing with my little kitty as I try to wrap presents and she tries to get the ribbon and tissue paper...I could go on and on!

I'm on a roll!

• This Marc Jacobs black eyeliner- it goes on in a snap, super smooth and easy with no tugging or drying out. And it lasts until I take it off. It's seriously the best eyeliner I've ever used. And it came to be so easily in a free sample, and I've been buying it ever since.

• Myself. I appreciate myself. I used to look at people that I admired, noticed qualities that they all shared, and wondered if I'd ever be that mature/developed/actualized/whatever. Now I AM that person in many cases, and in others I'm becoming that person. I'm more self assured, and quick-witted. I'm the kind of person who can walk up to a group of people, crack a joke, and leave 'em laughing (ok maybe not ALL the time, but it's easy when I'm feeling good!). I'm the kind of person that people want to be around, more and more- and there's no mystery here, it's because I'm doing the work and feeling better, better, better all the time!

frozen meatballs- already cooked, you just have to heat them up! nom nom nom

ordering things from the internet, having them delivered to my office. what a luxury.

Gorgeous day, absolutely perfect. Crisp and clear and dry.

Had a moment earlier when I realized that I actually am a real asset to my company, that people ask me questions and I answer them thoughtfully, and they listen and follow my advice. I'm not perfect and I make mistakes but at the same time I feel like I've got this!

My lovely hubbs, who is just a remarkable human being who does so much for me. We do things for each other and it feels really nice. He's a sweetheart.

Really looking forward to hosting a big dinner tomorrow night with friends, the first one in our new apartment!! It's going to be a loud, messy potluck situation and I can't wait. I'm really appreciating all the people around me lately, especially this group...they are so smart and funny and cute and I love spending time with them.

Yesterday I thought about a possible scenario and thought, 'wouldn't that be nice?' Right away I started to feel a little anxiety about it not working out, but I soothed briefly and then didn't think about it again. Then a few hours later I got notice that it is actually going to work out in the most fun possible way! Even more fun than I'd imagined!

So much appreciation going on here...for so many different people that all bring a special energy with them, to the magic of the holiday season (it does feel magical, doesn't it?), the feeling of being included and asked to join things, for the feeling of positive expectation. For feeling close to people, I love making connections with people and it's been happening like gangbusters lately (lots of eye contact and real conversations! So delicious! I think for a long time I've under appreciated how important and magical this can be). Also I get to show off a little next week in front of a crowd which I haven't done in years, which will be pretty fun and funny. (though I just realized I'm feeling a little twinge of negative thought on this topic- fear, mostly- so I'll address that right away.)

Fun and exciting day at work! People are still listening to me when I give feedback and advice!

Fun dinner party to look forward to tonight!

Gallons of green tea to keep me alert and awake, and I don't even have to pay for it because my office stocks whatever food and drinks we want!

Planning my thanksgiving menu for next week, and it's so fun! Plus my sweet MIL will be here to help me cook. I adore her, she's so lovely and thoughtful and really knows her way around the kitchen!

Another amazing, perfect-weather day; crisp, clear, and cool.

The trees in the park are absolutely amazing. All sorts of colors from red to orange to yellow to green and every variation you could imagine. When the sun shines through the leaves in the morning on my walk to work it looks like they are sparkling!

The older man I saw this morning carrying a very sleepy puppy.

Friday!! Enough said.

Clothes. This morning I got dressed in a snap, I just slipped on my suit (that used to be WAY too small), zipped it up and was out the door in no time!! I love the ease of having nice looking clothes that fit perfectly. I want more of that feeling. Plus I'm wearing a sassy leopard print sweater today and what could be more fun than that?

Feeling good in my body. Being present in my own skin.

Lovely green tea that helps keep me alert and awake, even after a late night. This metal straw that I found. These great big white coffee mugs that we have at the office.

The musical I saw the other night. I normally don't like musicals but this one was great and really funny and I had a wonderful time. The actors were so incredibly talented and beautiful. The sets were amazing. It was a spectacle, in the best sense of the word!

Naps. Really looking forward to coming home to a quiet apartment, eating a big salad, and taking a long nap. I love taking naps, especially after a meal. I love that feeling right as I drift off. How lucky am I that my office lets out early on Fridays. How lucky am I that I found a quiet, serene apartment in one of the most populous cities in the world. How lucky am I that I get plenty of time alone.

Comfortable shoes. I love all the pairs of comfortable shoes that I own, it means that I can walk and walk and walk and not get tired. A little wobble on this because I really need to replace some of them soon, they are falling apart, and I haven't been able to find suitable replacements easily. Mental note to work on this a little later today. I want things to come to me a little more easily. Actually this seems to be a theme with certain material objects lately, I just can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I get close but it's not quite right. Then I have to constantly decide if I want to settle for something I don't truly want or use the old, worn out thing a little longer.

This beautiful ring that looks very expensive and chic but I actually bought at a flea market for $20.

That my boss is recovering well from surgery and looks great. Also that he seems to be in really good spirits (even though some others said that he was grouchy...I like to think that I'm attracting the parts of him that I vibrate with).

This forum

It is truly a special place!