Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 'Tis the season (for appreciation)!

What a nice day I'm having! Lots of alone time, took the day off work, woke up early, went to the gym, now I'm painting the kitchen. I absolutely love home improvement projects. Especially painting, I love the instant before and after! And I like working alone...it's so fun to try and finish everything so that when Mr. BBB gets home I can be all, 'wah laa!!!' and then he will praise me like he should

I'm SO GOOD at picking out paint colors. I don't even really have to think about it, I just spend a few minutes considering options and it's like I just KNOW what's going to look good in the space. I'm even thinking about future projects I can do, like painting my dresser...and now I have a huge terrace and I can do everything outside (once it gets warmer).

We're supposed to have very bad weather starting tonight but I'm actually really looking forward to it! I will get up very early and hopefully the gym will be open but after that I plan on being lazy and cozy all day...I'll make a big pot of chili and read and watch movies and burn a yummy smelling candle and snuggle with the cat (and Mr. BBB, if his job is closed). I also got a neat little project for a birthday present that fun and kind of crafty and I can work on that too. I love having free time. Or maybe we'll have friends over...we did this before when the weather was terrible and it was so fun! We played card games and ate snacks and ran around outside in the crazy snow. That was such a fun day.

I just had the most hilarious walk to work...doormen saying good morning, random strangers telling me hello, people saying happy st patrick's day...it was like I was a disney princess or something! I'm surprised a bird didn't land on my shoulder and start singing, lol. What a day.

Love Fridays. I'm working on something kind of fun and different today, then I'm going to go home early, have lunch, clean my apartment, read, and take a nice long nap before meeting a friend for catch-up drinks. What a perfect Friday.

The weather is so nice! It's a little warmer, the snow is melting, and the sun is so cheerful today for some reason. The weather forecast literally said 'abundant sunshine.'

Food. I'm enjoying food so much these days. They say that when you quit smoking your taste and smell senses return, so maybe that's it? in any case I'm really enjoying eating more than ever. I had the most delicious duck breast last night, I think there was some kind of nutmeg-based spice rub on it, yummmm.

Speaking of not smoking, today makes 3 weeks! I'm celebrating by breathing deeply whenever I remember. I can totally tell a difference in my stamina at the gym since I quit, I'm already in such better shape even after just a few weeks. And when I breathe really deeply it's so easy and smooth now, no hitch or catch in my chest, and it feels good to breathe. Meditating is better because I can really fill my lungs up with air. I have so much more energy in general, I can walk faster and everything is just so much easier. I feel lighter, both physically and emotionally. Just knowing that I'm now, finally, on the right track for a long and healthy and happy life is such a lovely thought.

Today is going to be a beautiful day! Nice and sunny and a little warm in the sun, chilly in the shade, with a little breeze. Perfection. Sunday was like this; I left to go to the gym but the sun felt so amazing on my skin that I ended up taking a long walk outside instead.

On that long walk I called my parents, it had been a while since we talked at length. I had the most amazing conversation with my dad...he's usually a little high strung and can sometimes be negative but ever since he was diagnosed with prostate cancer there's been this gradual shift in him and on Sunday I could REALLY feel it! We both went on this group rampage of appreciation of everything that's going so well for our family, and there are a LOT of things going well. I was exhausted after the call and took a long nap but I'm still feeling so happy every time I think back on the things we talked about. I'm really excited about this new phase in his (and my mom's) life. I feel so much appreciation for both my parents, they are pretty great. I have very different relationships with them but they are both neat and special.

Feeling excited about NOT having plans this week except for tonight; I love coming home at the end of the day and doing NOTHING. Last week was super busy and I got no sleep for DAYS; it was fun but too much of a good thing. Plus there was so much alcohol by Sunday I felt pickled! Tonight will be easy and fun and will end early. And for the rest of the week I'm politely declining all invitations. I want to sit quietly and read (maybe on my terrace if it's warm enough??) with a nice cup of tea and go to bed early. YUM, seems so delicious.

HOLY COW I'm having a great day.
    It's like everything that comes out of my mouth is the perfect thing to say at exactly the right time.
    It's really cold and windy out and I love it. Sunny too. Walk to work this morning was exquisite.
    Feeling really inspired to do things...I reached out to make a double date with some friends over the next few weeks. I think I want to start a bullet journal, and I started doing a little research on how to do it. It seems like fun! Crafty and useful at the same time! I asked a simple question and it turns out I'm getting tickets to two concerts that I'm really excited about- in a fancy suite that's catered, and I don't even have to pay for them!
    People around me are all fired up today about things, in a good way. It feels like everyone is inspired and engaged, way more than usual. I love days like this.
    Yesterday I got my company to give a small charitable donation to a cause that is amazing and awesome and even though it's not a lot, I was so proud that we helped. I like helping, I like the way it feels. I would like to do more of this. It's one big motivation to earn even more money...there are so many good causes to donate to, plus how much fun would it be to purchase art??? Like, from the artist? I could get cool stuff, plus support an up-and-comer.

I'm loving my now, my today, more than ever.

The best thing about quitting smoking is that I now feel free to take a shortcut through central park on my walks to/from work, rather than going around it (you're not really supposed to smoke in the park anymore). I can't overstate how magnificent this is. It's truly breathtaking. Especially in the mornings...it's so quiet and there aren't many people around, and I can stand in the middle and see all the way around the park, all the buildings on all sides, because the trees haven't bloomed yet. Yesterday I was walking home and the sky was this pale blue along the horizon, it just looked like perfect porcelain, it was so beautiful I almost broke down in tears.

This has been happening a lot. The other day I was having such a nice afternoon at home and I decided to put on some Bill Evans, have a cup of tea, and settle in to do a little abraham work and the whole setup (in my favorite spot in my awesome apartment) was so perfect I started to cry. I keep reading that crying is releasing resistance but it doesn't really feel that way, it just feels like really concentrated appreciation. Like I can't believe how perfect this moment is.

I'm even feeling easier and easier about my BIG ISSUES. They don't feel so big these days.

I'm still loving going to the gym. I feel like I'm re-inventing my own self image, little by little, from a person who doesn't like to exercise to someone who enjoys it and pushes themselves just for the fun of it. Yesterday I ran/walked 3 miles (mostly ran), and it wasn't hard at all. I went from not running a single step to running 3 miles easily in like, 6 weeks. I feel like I'm capable of anything. Now that I'm not working so hard to breathe, pushing a little bit feels GOOD, not awful or impossible.

I'm feeling more inspired at work lately. I'm still pretty chill but I'm suddenly finding that everything is easier. I'm actually a resource, people are coming to me with questions and asking my opinion, and I'm even coming up with ideas that are really smart and creative and out of the box. It feels really great. And it's not like I'm perfect, I still make mistakes all the time. But something has shifted, I don't focus on the mistakes anymore, not really. I care less what others think of me and this is allowing for more real, personal connections.

I've been in kind of a funk all day. Not even a funk, as much as just 'blah.' Bored. Totally uninspired. I did go to the gym (and absolutely kicked ass, I can't believe how much I'm able to run now) and cooked all my breakfasts for the week, which feels nice, but I have the rest of the day stretching out ahead of me and I can't think of a single thing that sounds fun. Plus I took a short nap earlier and woke up with a headache. This is so annoying, I really want to enjoy the rest of my weekend.

The thing is, I have a bunch of fun crafty projects that I could work on. There are a million TV shows and movies I could watch, books to read, podcasts to listen to, home improvement projects to plan and execute...these are all things I normally find really fun but right now nothing sounds interesting. I could go for a walk, call a friend, go shopping. Browse some of my favorite websites. Play games on my phone. Go get a pedicure or a manicure. Ok wait, I just thought of something that gave me a spark of interest...I can take artsy pictures with a new set of macro lenses that work with my phone. Ding!!! We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen. And I will drink lots of water, and my headache will probably go away soon.

I know this is an action journey but it really did help me feel inspired!

That little bump in my mood made me think of a few things I'm appreciating right now:
    The purple hyacinth bulb I bought that's blooming so wonderfully now- in fact, staring at it was what made me remember those lenses! Ooh, and after that I can go to the hardware store and buy some more plants for the terrace. I like buying one or two new ones every week, it's fun to see my little garden grow.

My little cat. We spooned earlier while napping and it was so precious. And just now as I'm typing this some birds came to say hello to her out on the terrace and she's losing her mind, stalking them through the glass door. It's pretty cute.

Cinnamon candles.

Appreciating the last 24 hours...I just had the most amazing, fun, exciting, joyful experience. It was a blast and I'm feeling so much appreciation for all the people who conspired to make it all happen. I will thank them all individually in 'real life' but I also want to take a moment to be quiet and still, and to send some thoughts of appreciation to them now. Everyone played their part perfectly, it was all so nice and easy.

It's April!

I've decided that the theme for April is going to be "Positive Aspects April." I'm going to constantly, all day every day, look for positive aspects in everything around me. Including in myself. It seems like the perfect time to start this project- new beginnings, things are blooming, spring is right around the corner, and it's a period of such lovely transition that I just know there will be so many beautiful things to observe and make a note of.

I'm not going to worry about perfection, either; I'll do some of the work here, some of it making notes electronically, and I'll carry around a notebook and jot some positive aspects there as well. There will be so many they will be spilling out all over!!

No time like the present, might as well start now!

I love the gym! I have so much fun going, there are people there but not too many, it's really clean, everyone minds their own business, there are people of all ages and walks of life and levels of fitness. It's really not a superficial place with mirrors everywhere, it's very down to earth just like me.

I also want to point out some positive aspects about myself, tying in with my worthiness project. I've been going to the gym every day and I can honestly say it has nothing to do with losing weight. I mean, this is freaking huge for me. I'm just having fun, I like the process, I like being there, and I like seeing my continual improvement in cardio stamina. Yesterday I ran/walked 4 MILES, most of it running. ME. I can't believe I'm actually doing something like that. Just for the fun of it, just for the sake of it, just because it feels good to move my body. So the positive aspects would be...I'm capable. I'm a changeable creature. I can do anything, I'm capable of achieving things I would have not thought possible even a few months ago. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what I'm capable of.

Super duper busy at work, but not really in a frantic way...and it's actually been great because it's been such a nice opportunity for me to practice staying easy and relaxed in the middle of a bunch of deadlines. I frequently reminded myself to breathe...yesterday I even took 20 minutes to myself to meditate in the middle of the day. It's also nice to remember that I really do earn my salary sometimes, lol

Last night I got to hear Beethoven's 9th symphony live and it was absolutely resplendent.

The moon last night, I couldn't stop staring at it.

My new handbag that I ordered, I can't wait until it gets here!

We have a three day weekend coming up!

Yesterday I ran more than 3 miles on the treadmill. It felt really nice.

Drinks yesterday with an old friend, some today with a different friend who is really fun and very high energy.

My commute. I'm really loving this path to and from work through the park that I've kind of settled on without realizing it. I'll try other routes but for now I like this one. I like all the different walking surfaces; the sidewalk, the rocky bridle path, the hard packed dirt, the softer, spongy ground, the bit that's always covered in mulch. I like when I see park employees working to make it neat and tidy and clean and beautiful. I always tell them 'thank you, i love you' many times in my head as I walk by.

On day 4 of a long weekend and I have to admit I've been a little...blah the whole time. Not really inspired, not really having fun, just kind of bored with things. Eating garbage but then feeling guilty about it later. Not taking the opportunity to truly rest- I'm not really being productive, I spent a lot of time laying around, but I didn't feel good about it. It's not like I made the decision to be easy and restful and then lined up with it. It just kind of happened, and then I had a niggling thought in the back of my mind, 'maybe I should've done more with this time.'

If I would have just said to myself 'I deserve to rest! This is going to be a nice peaceful quiet weekend, I'm going to sleep a lot and read for hours on end' and totally lined up with it that would have been fine. But I didn't, and now I feel guilty about being super lazy and not getting anything done. And more so, I feel bad for not checking in along the way, knowing that I was on a downward spiral emotionally and not doing anything to check it so I could have a happier time.

But now...well, it's always now, right? I do have one more day to salvage this. I could do a bunch of stuff so at least I feel like a productive person. I could make it a point to check in with myself every few minutes and do a little soothing and searching for relief. I could now make the decision to line up with being restful for the rest of the day and really ENJOY it this time. Or some combination of the two. I think what's calling me right now is to do something creative today. I've been wanting to start working on a bullet journal for a long time and I've been putting it off. I've also been wanting to start learning how to knit. I've also been orienting myself towards doing a big clean-out of my apartment; now that the weather is changing I'm tired of looking at my coats and sweaters and I'm realizing I don't have much in the way of spring and summer clothes. So maybe today would be a good day to think about transitioning to the next phase of the year, the next stage...I love to put things in context of an overall theme! Maybe that could be the theme of the rest of the month! Transitioning to spring. I'm digging it. I'm starting to feel some excitement for life again.

Here are some things I can do to have fun transitioning to spring:
    Buy some new clothes. I want some long skirts and tops to wear with them.
    Put away/donate winter things.
    Decide on what I'm going to plant this spring in the way of a flowering vine on my terrace. Start getting all the stuff I'll need, make lists, figure out where I need to go and questions I need to ask.
    Keep building out my herb garden.
    Spend more time looking for outdoor furniture.
    Pester my landlord about fixing the terrace door.
    Start burning spring-y scented candles.
    Buy a few bright things...throw pillows, maybe a table cloth.
    Make a pitcher of iced tea. Buy a mint plant!
    Sit outside more. We don't have proper furniture but we do have some folding chairs. I don't have to wait until we have all the stuff. I could even go out there and do some sweeping, it's a bit messy.