Thread: New to Abraham, need some advice please?

New to Abraham, need some advice please?

Hi,

I'm new to Abraham, I feel like I have felt these teaching before, I remember vividly being very young and I couldn't sleep, I remember lying there not understanding how death could be the end, I couldn't understand how we are not always in existence...it made no sense to me. sometimes the house seemed alive, the paintings moved and my wall paper...I would always be aware of something and now I wonder if I was feeling source?

i have since grown up and gone from being Catholic to Pagan, always questioning religion and human behaviour..then I found The Secret and I followed some of the teachings, I worked towards what I thought I wanted, got it then realised I didn't actually want this after all I just thought I did!

I took notice of how I felt, quit then spent months trying to understand what I do want. in between I've had what I thought was depression and anxiety from focusing on my past, I lost my grandmother and had to face the family I decided to stay away from due to the fact I feel unable to be at peace with them in my life...I had counciling whilst this was going on then started to make sense of things. I decided to stop blaming myself for my family, for not seeing my grandmother due to this and to feeling like I could forgive myself. Since then I have been listening to Abraham, to be honest I found Abraham a year or so ago BUT it actually freaked me out at the time, I couldn't listen as I had a fear of it, it felt strange to me BUT now I feel completely different!

I have been listening and watching to all of the you tube footage I can find, it feels right to me but now I need the next step. What would you suggest I read or listen to to get me started? There are so many options I'm not sure where to start?

thank you in advance I look forward to speaking more with you!

Welcome to the Forum, Catt! Thank you for telling us a little bit about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Catt View Post
    I'm new to Abraham, I feel like I have felt these teaching before, I remember vividly being very young and I couldn't sleep, I remember lying there not understanding how death could be the end, I couldn't understand how we are not always in existence...it made no sense to me. sometimes the house seemed alive, the paintings moved and my wall paper...I would always be aware of something and now I wonder if I was feeling source?
    Abraham often say that they don't "teach" so much as remind us of what we once knew and perhaps may have forgotten. This is why they tell us that no one ever "needs" to hear a word from Abraham in order to live their happy lives. Their IBs* always know this stuff and we are all hardwired to want to feel better which, as you know, is the very core of these teachings.

Maybe you didn't forget as much as others may have forgotten?

Quote Originally Posted by Catt View Post
    I have been listening and watching to all of the you tube footage I can find, it feels right to me but now I need the next step. What would you suggest I read or listen to to get me started? There are so many options I'm not sure where to start?
    I'm a big fan of letting your guidance--well--guide you. After all, as you may already know, these teachings are based on "you can never get it wrong and you will not get it done."

So, I would suggest that you read whichever book calls to you. That's the one that you're most likely to enjoy, right? That being said, for those who don't want to use their guidance, I often recommend AAIIG as a good starting point. It explains everything (all the books do), is the most general purpose of the books (IMHO) and has the largest collection of practical exercises (Abraham call them "Processes" or "Games.") of any of the books.

Now, for a pointer from someone who's been around the block a bit, working with thousands of people and these teachings: If you're anything like me, you're going to want to plow through your book, whichever you choose. Have at it. All the books are easy and fun to read and can typically be read in a very short period of time. Abe's writing style is so casual and clear that you might think that you "got" Abraham's message (which is really simple and straight-forward). However, there's a difference between understanding it intellectually and being able to apply these teachings to our lives.

So, I would next recommend that you re-read your book carefully and thoroughly, from cover to cover, with the intention of learning what Abraham are teaching (rather than looking for quick answers to your issues). A good pace might be 1 page per day (as we've done here in our Book Study groups) or 1 sub-section (usually 1-3 pages) per day. This gives you the opportunity to see how these teachings and what you've read play out in your day-to-day life. Feel free to ask us (in the Abraham-Hicks Teachings and You sub-forum) questions about what you're reading, so you can really give yourself a good strong foundation.

Then apply these teachings in your daily life. Just like going to a gym, start with the lightest, easiest to shift topics and build up from there.

Have fun!

*You can find a translation of the acronyms and abbreviations that we commonly use here on the Forum in ourGlossary.

Thank you very much!

i will see which stands out to me and go from there, it does make sense to do that! Thanks again!