Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: How do you focus your mind and be fully in the now?

  1. #11
    $2Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North San Diego County
    Posts
    45
    The goal is feeling good. The goal is getting in the vortex. A technique I have found useful is to ask myself the question, "What is the feeling I'm reaching for?". I repeat this question all day long and I think about being confident, joyful, energized, eager, etc. It has helped me reach ineffable states of joy.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by $2Chuck View Post
    The goal is feeling good. The goal is getting in the vortex. A technique I have found useful is to ask myself the question, "What is the feeling I'm reaching for?". I repeat this question all day long and I think about being confident, joyful, energized, eager, etc. It has helped me reach ineffable states of joy.
    i know.. why do you think I'm trying to meditate? to feel better, but obviously I don't "quiet my mind" or focus enough, because I'm not feeling better from doing it..

  3. #13
    thwinters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    i can't understand why that would be a wanted thing.. I don't personally think that successful people are multitasking a lot in their mind.. from what I've read so far about focus on the internet is that trying to multitask is the opposite of what you want to do.. I think it's the opposite, that successful people are the ones that are good at focusing steadily on one thing at the time...



    but how can I meditate if I don't know how? "noticing" your breathing, is that all?



    yes, I have read that the brain is like a muscle that needs exercising.. Has Abraham ever talked about how to do that? or do they assume that everyone who finds their teachings are good focusers?
    Truly successful people do both. They are both learned skills.

  4. #14
    $2Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North San Diego County
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    i know.. why do you think I'm trying to meditate? to feel better, but obviously I don't "quiet my mind" or focus enough, because I'm not feeling better from doing it..
    Try saying "What is the feeling I'm reaching for" over and over. That process blocks out resistant thought and prepaves the way what you want. If you would like, I'll search for the video I got this from on YouTube . Please let me know.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by $2Chuck View Post
    Try saying "What is the feeling I'm reaching for" over and over. That process blocks out resistant thought and prepaves the way what you want. If you would like, I'll search for the video I got this from on YouTube . Please let me know.
    It's okay. Thanks anyway.

  6. #16
    FallenAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    does focus mean the same as concentrating on something? Has Abraham never talked anything about focusing?
    All Abraham ever does is talk about focus.

    Focus is not about emptying your mind, nor is it about concentrating. Those certainly can happen when one focuses, but in the Abraham sense, focus is merely awareness of what you're thinking how that thought makes you feel. Meditation is not necessary in order to practice the teachings of Abraham and it's certainly not necessary for focus, so if meditation is frustrating you, don't go near it. Focus is merely being aware and making a choice of what to think about.

  7. #17
    Super Kitty Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tempe, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    9,251
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    but how can I meditate if I don't know how?
    The same way you now walk when you didn't know how to walk, or read when you didn't know how to read, or ride a bike when once you didn't know how to ride a bike. You practice, and keep practicing and at a certain point, you "get" it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    "noticing" your breathing, is that all?
    There's no single technique, although Abraham does talk about their particular technique where you focus on your breathing and bring your attention back when your mind wanders.

    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    yes, I have read that the brain is like a muscle that needs exercising.. Has Abraham ever talked about how to do that? or do they assume that everyone who finds their teachings are good focusers?
    Are you saying you aren't? Really, this isn't rocket science. How are you able to read these comments and write a response? You're not responding to every single thing that could potentially happen around you as if you're saying, "Oh! There's the sound of a bird! Oh! There's the sound of water dripping! Oh! There's a book on the shelf! Oh! There's another book on the shelf! Oh, there's a third book on the shelf! Oh! I'm wearing clothes! Oh! There must be air around because I'm able to breathe! Oh! Language! Oh! Gravity!" Obviously, that's not what's going on or we couldn't be having this conversation.

    Rather, you're FOCUSING when you read these posts, rather than chasing a squirrel that ran by your window. You're FOCUSING when you formulate a response and you're FOCUSING when you translate those ideas into written words and tap them out on your keyboard.

    To quote the age old Palmolive commercial, "You're soaking in it!" In other words, Focus: you're already doing it. There's nothing magical about focus, there's no "trick" to it, you do it all day every day. Now you may not do it as DELIBERATELY as you want, but you know how to focus.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
    Focus is merely being aware and making a choice of what to think about.
    how can I do that, then? being aware and making a choice of what to think about? it seems like my mind is mostly going on it's own and I don't have a sense of actually thinking my thoughts, probably because I'm distracted in my mind and my mind is currently in "internet" brain mode. maybe I forgot to exercise my brain muscle lately, so can anyone please explain what "making a choice of what to think about" looks like in reality, how "think a thought" works, very basic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Now you may not do it as DELIBERATELY as you want, but you know how to focus.
    ok sure , so I want to do it more deliberately , I want to feel better from doing meditation..

  9. #19
    Super Kitty Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tempe, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    9,251
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    so can anyone please explain what "making a choice of what to think about" looks like in reality, how "think a thought" works, very basic?
    As I explained in my last post, you've ALREADY MADE THE CHOICE OF WHAT TO THINK ABOUT when you've CHOSEN to read what we've written, and in formulating a response. What you're doing right now is how it looks like in reality. YOU'RE SOAKING IN IT. You're not so "distracted" that you haven't already demonstrated that you can do what Abraham suggests. Do that, just on another topic of your choice. Pick a topic and keep your attention on that topic. If your mind wanders (and it probably will), bring it back. Rinse and Repeat. There's not more to it than that.

    If you're looking for practical suggestions, sit down with a pen/pencil, a piece of paper and pick a topic. It could be about bubbles, kittens, or your favorite band/DJ/song. It could be about ANYTHING you want. Now, WRITE about that topic. If your topic is kittens, you could even sketch a picture of a kitten. If your topic was about a particular Dutch DJ & Music Producer, you could write about your favorite tracks or the first time you heard him or her. If you were writing about your favorite food, you might write about a memory of the first time you had that food, or what you like about it. Decide you're going to spend, let's say 15-30 minutes on this exercise. Then go.

    So how do you know if you've accomplished focusing? Well, if after 15-30 minutes the paper's blank, you can safely assume that you weren't able to focus. Presuming that there are words or pictures related to the topic you've chosen, then you've managed to hold your attention there to some degree. If it's only a couple of words, then you probably can use some more practice. If you've got a whole page talking about the wicked beats of your favorite DJ and how he's inspired you to produce music of your own, for example, then you've demonstrated to yourself that you can focus. If you produced a page that's less than what you'd like, do it again later. Really, not difficult.

    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    ok sure , so I want to do it more deliberately , I want to feel better from doing meditation..
    Well, none of us can guarantee that you'll feel better from practicing meditation right away just like no one could guarantee that any single attempt to stand up and take a step when you were learning to walk. Keep practicing anyway, even if you don't get results right away.

    (Mod note: E&F, this better not be you using a VPN. We already have our suspicions.)

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    8
    well, I want to be able to change my thinking without writing anything down, and I want to feel like I'm in control and in charge of my own thoughts. The only reason for why I'm not already feeling like that is when I intentionally try to think about some problem in my life, I don't feel so bad, but, when those problematic topics "naturally" comes up for me, then I feel bad. So that's why I'm not sure if I know how to deliberately focus my mind, because if I could make my mind focus on one of my "problematic" topics, then I think I would feel as bad as when they "naturally" comes up.

    i've found a video where Abraham said that we can never stop thinking as long as you are awake, so I agree with what you say about that I'm already focusing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •