Thread: Dealing with overwhelment at work

Dealing with overwhelment at work

Ok, so the last time I created a thread on the forum, I was feeling desperate because I was struggling financially and couldn't find a job. Guess what? I got a new job and it was the job I wanted, so I consider this a success.

But I'm already experiencing quite a bit of contrast. I love this job, the environment is nice, I meet nice new people every day, my colleagues are amazing, my boss is a family friend, but I had no idea how challenging and overwhelming it would be. Just to give you a bit of a background, I'm working for a public transport company at the moment and most of the time it's awesome, but during the rush hours, overwhelment is an understatement. I have to take care of SO MANY things at the same time that my brain just can't handle the amount of pressure and responsibility in my hands. I received little to no training or guidance on the first day, so I was standing there with full responsibility but not knowing exactly how to deal with some situations, so much so that I even considered quitting. To me, quitting felt like the path of least resistance, because I just couldn't take it. But at the same time, I would have to deal with other people's disappointment and criticism for being such a coward.

As far as the Abe teachings are concerned, I know the work is to feel better about it and I can say with certainty that I can do pretty good job at feeling better about it when I'M HOME, but I arrive at work, it's the same challenging scenario over and over again. I don't know how to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPJ View Post
    Ok, so the last time I created a thread on the forum, I was feeling desperate because I was struggling financially and couldn't find a job. Guess what? I got a new job and it was the job I wanted, so I consider this a success.

But I'm already experiencing quite a bit of contrast. I love this job, the environment is nice, I meet nice new people every day, my colleagues are amazing, my boss is a family friend, but I had no idea how challenging and overwhelming it would be. Just to give you a bit of a background, I'm working for a public transport company at the moment and most of the time it's awesome, but during the rush hours, overwhelment is an understatement. I have to take care of SO MANY things at the same time that my brain just can't handle the amount of pressure and responsibility in my hands. I received little to no training or guidance on the first day, so I was standing there with full responsibility but not knowing exactly how to deal with some situations, so much so that I even considered quitting. To me, quitting felt like the path of least resistance, because I just couldn't take it. But at the same time, I would have to deal with other people's disappointment and criticism for being such a coward.

As far as the Abe teachings are concerned, I know the work is to feel better about it and I can say with certainty that I can do pretty good job at feeling better about it when I'M HOME, but I arrive at work, it's the same challenging scenario over and over again. I don't know how to go about it.
    Just sharing my experience perhaps it gives you some guideline: I also did quit my job when it become extremely overwhelming in nature and ended up with severe manic depression (had to be treated for almost half a year).
    Few months into my resignation, I started to become a little stable, so I decide to talk to them immediately and ask if they would take me back, they did take me back which was not bad.

Unfortunately, it is 1.5 years later: I started to feel overwhelm again but my issue was also precisely defined (I have been in this job for a decade), I was a good match for the place I work when I started then I suddenly changed completely however years and years later, I became more involve with like minded people, not necessarily in the same department, but sometimes you are just linked to the overall company (if it is a large company) therefore your best choice might be to try to transfer to another place within the same company (if possible) before you resign from it. Just IMO and apply LOA to it too, visualizing moving to another place within the same company.

I'm already experiencing quite a bit of contrast.
    That's how things work. Something manifests and then it brings up more contrast that gives birth to more desire. As Abraham says: You can't get it wrong and you never get it done. Keep that second part in mind: YOU NEVER GET IT DONE. It's simply a matter continuing to mold things into place.
    To me, quitting felt like the path of least resistance, because I just couldn't take it. But at the same time, I would have to deal with other people's disappointment and criticism for being such a coward.
    Not to mention the part where you'd be back out of job and back to "struggling financially." Not sounding so much like the path of least resistance now, is it?
    So give us an example of what you're doing at home to feel better about your feeling of overwhelm.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    So give us an example of what you're doing at home to feel better about your feeling of overwhelm.
    Better feeling thoughts really. I've been meditating more frequently, and I'm also using another non-Abe technique to find relief.

Better feeling thoughts really.
    That's not an example, that's an abstraction. I asked you to give an EXAMPLE. FOR EXAMPLE:

"When it's rush hour I have to take care of SO MANY things at the same time that my brain just can't handle the amount of pressure and responsibility in my hands.

Some better feeling thoughts I'm reaching for are:

The rush period isn't all day.
    Maybe I'll get better at this.
    Things usually get easier the more I get used to them.
    "

Those are EXAMPLES of reaching for better feeling thoughts. If you don't give us more clarity on what you're actually doing, we can't possibly help you fine tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    That's not an example, that's an abstraction. I asked you to give an EXAMPLE. FOR EXAMPLE:

"When it's rush hour I have to take care of SO MANY things at the same time that my brain just can't handle the amount of pressure and responsibility in my hands.

Some better feeling thoughts I'm reaching for are:

The rush period isn't all day.
    Maybe I'll get better at this.
    Things usually get easier the more I get used to them.
    "

Those are EXAMPLES of reaching for better feeling thoughts. If you don't give us more clarity on what you're actually doing, we can't possibly help you fine tune.
    You're right, sorry.

But yeah, you're right. Your examples perfectly match mine.

"I have a lot of time to figure this all out"
    "All in good time"
    "It's perfectly normal for things to be difficult at first, but it'll get easier"
    "Pretty much any person in this job has had nerve-racking experiences and pressure to perform, but they're all masters today"
    "This job has a lot of positive aspects, so being patient with myself is worth it"

Actually I have an easy time doing this when I'm NOT at work, because as soon as I get there, the feeling of overwhelm comes back. And because LoA is only responding to what I'm offering in the moment, yeah, you know how it goes...

But yeah, you're right. Your examples perfectly match mine.
    So the big question is whether those thoughts you're reaching for feel BETTER. Presumably they don't, or else you'd be pre-paving an experience with a little more ease.

So step back and reach for some thoughts that maybe aren't quite as high up.

The planet isn't going to explode if I mess some of this up.
    It doesn't really matter how much of this gets done.
    It's not my fault that they didn't train me properly.
    I'm not really as "responsible" for what happens as I've been making myself out to be.
    I'm doing the best I can.
    It's not such a terrible thing to not be as good at this as I want to be.
    I'm getting as much of this done as I'm ready to handle.