Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Meditation practice

Meditation practice

What is your meditation practice? Please be specific if you don't mind. My main question is guided meditation vs. silent meditation. What works better for you? If you do a silent one, do you focus on a sound or your own breathing? Do you use the ticking clock app? Do you use just music with no words? Do you use binaural beats? I really like those - they make the top of of head tingle. I am very undecided though on whether guided meditations are very effective. Do they put you into a deep meditative state? With me, they put me in a superficially relaxed state. But they are easier because they require less concentration.

Once I put myself into a deep-deep meditation with my eyes open, sitting outside on a bench and staring at a tree. It cleared my stress completely, but it took a lot of effort. I don't know if I can do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicie View Post
    My main question is guided meditation vs. silent meditation.
    Abraham recently spoke to that question (either in the San Francisco or Seattle Workshops of this summer). They reminded us that they teach meditation with the intention of quieting the mind. That's why they teach what you're calling “silent meditation.” They remarked on how many guided meditation don't have a component of “quieting the mind" and so have a different vibrational intention (and effect) than what Abraham are recommending to us. They went on to say that they specifically designed their meditation recordings around that intention of quieting the mind. They suggested that, if we were going to use “guided” meditations, we select this guided meditations which intend to quiet our mind.

Since you're asking for an opinion poll, I do the "silent meditation" that Abraham teach.

I do the silent meditation, as well. I usually focus on my breathing, but sometimes I focus on a sound, such as the sound of the water in my fish tank. If I'm having trouble focusing on those, sometimes I repeat a specific thought in my head, such as "I want to feel better," or "I want to feel good". It just depends on the mood I'm in at the time.

I use transcendental meditation, commonly referred to as TM. A mantra is silently repeated over and over again which I have found keeps me from spiraling down the rabbit hole of distracting thoughts. Your mantra is supposed to be secret (which might just be to keep you repeating it silently and not out loud)

Two books (available as audiobooks) that helped me find and figure out TM are Success Through Stillness by Russell Simmons and Revolution by Russell Brand. Also mantras can be found online.

Quote Originally Posted by WellBeing View Post
    Abraham recently spoke to that question (either in the San Francisco or Seattle Workshops of this summer). They reminded us that they teach meditation with the intention of quieting the mind. That's why they teach what you're calling “silent meditation.” They remarked on how many guided meditation don't have a component of “quieting the mind" and so have a different vibrational intention (and effect) than what Abraham are recommending to us. They went on to say that they specifically designed their meditation recordings around that intention of quieting the mind. They suggested that, if we were going to use “guided” meditations, we select this guided meditations which intend to quiet our mind.

Since you're asking for an opinion poll, I do the "silent meditation" that Abraham teach.
    Interesting, I didn't know... I have always been a fun of silent meditation too (especially zen shinkantaza) but I thought that Abraham was for guided ones. But what about their meditation cd's? they are guided meditations... (that doesn't need to mean anything, as they've always offered different angles to things, but I find it curious)

I actually find that formal meditation isn't particularly needed anymore, unless I'm really in a pickle. Or I find need for it less and less. While I do see that whatever I do can be done meditatively. So I am maybe counter-trend here as I was incredibly fond of it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rose essence View Post
    ...but I thought that Abraham was for guided ones. But what about their meditation cd's? they are guided meditations... (that doesn't need to mean anything, as they've always offered different angles to things, but I find it curious)
    I believe I addressed that in my reply. Did you have something specific you wanted clarified?

Quote Originally Posted by rose essence View Post
    I actually find that formal meditation isn't particularly needed anymore, unless I'm really in a pickle. Or I find need for it less and less. While I do see that whatever I do can be done meditatively. So I am maybe counter-trend here as I was incredibly fond of it years ago.
    “Counter-trend” in terms of what Abraham have recently been emphasizing in many if this year's Workshops, perhaps. They have been saying in those Workshops that we only need to meditate 15-20 minutes a day and the cumulative effects of that practice will be enough to soon buoy us throughout our days.

There are a number of people who approach these teachings as a sort of bag of magic tricks to haul out when they want to Abe their experience into different manifested conditions. That's why we make a lot of references to Hogwart's here on the Forum. And it's all right that this is their approach. Thats their “art of allowing.” They (nor you nor I) cannot get it wrong.

But Abraham are really teaching us a way of life, rather than a set of discrete exercises or practices. They explain this lifestyle using examples from Esther's life. As part of their recent emphasis on meditation, they’ve talked about how Esther has allowed her “real” life to interfere with her meditation practice. She's let other things get her attention and distract her away from her daily meditation practice. But when she recommits to her practice, she feels the difference. She says “It's like the magic's back,” even for those parts of her day when she isn't Focus Wheeling or doing other Abraham practices.

Beloved Woman paradise-on-earth's Avatar
    After several years, I donīt like to listen to the guided meditations any more so much. It now feels too heady for me. And, I never could get myself to jive with Abeīs adviced breathing-rhythm! Itīs much too short for me. I like much deeper breaths, so I just stopped paing attention to that. I now prefer Abeīs meditation "music mostly", I do it each early morning with DH still laying in bed, after a short bathroom-break. Cozy and a very nice daily start.

I am one of those people who LOVE thinking and have a hard time to give that up, even I know and love the positive effect. -After having given up on meditation because of that, I started again last month as Abe became so very intense about advising it. I had to REALLY stop beating up on me for not getting straight away into thoughtlessness, and managed to do that finally -After 10 minutes of constantly refocusing into letting go of thought, I get that "floating, detached" feeling that Abe describe. And itīs awesome. SO worth it! So soothing and relaxing into the depth of the own core.

I think I get there even easier when Iīm on all on my own somewhen in the middle of the day. Then I just set my timer (itīs silent with a ringing at the end) and sit in the lotus-position, out in nature, eyes closed.

This quote especially helped me:

Let us tell you what we know about you (to a HS who has a hard time meditating)- this isnīt a bad thing, but it is in your way of meditation:
    You are a REALLY deliberate person.

You are precise in what you do. And what that means is, you are unwilling -and thatīs alright, we get it!- to give up control.

And thatīs what it is, for you! You donīt want to give up control! Well, what we want you to understand is, youīr not giving up any control! You are just allowing yourself to resonate with your ULTIMATE CONTROL!

Itīs NOT about giving anything up. Itīs just about relaxing IN. When you are in meditation, if something happens and someone needs you, youīll be alerted to it! There is no danger in just quieting your mind! Itīs just a rest-it. Itīs just a relaxation! Itīs just a deliberate slowing of unwanted momentum.

(...) The most important thing is: You are NOT DOING IT WRONG!
    You are just getting ready to be ready to be ready. And the COMMITMENT to doing it, thatīs REALLY GOOD! And then, the enjoying-it. Thatīs another thing, thatīs good!

(funny descriptions of how Esther reached for different ways of meditating that just didnīt work for her. Just do it the way that works best FOR YOU! -And then, giving an example of listening to the wind.) -Subtle. You have to listen... itīs boring. Keep focusing on it! Donīt think about what it is, just HEAR IT. You (to HS)- hear it!

HS:
    I do. And then I start to think about things and then I get excited...

Abe:
    Well now, you see- if you get quickly to the receiving mode, and then IB-thoughts start occuring to you, thatīs a whole other conversation!

HS:
    Letīs have that conversation! Thatīs what happens!

Abe:
    Sometimes thatīs what happens. But if you reach the place, where you focused upon whatever it is, to the point that you feel DETACHED, where you canīt feel your foot from your nose, THAT is THERE.

If youīve reached the place, where there is a movement inside your head, thatīs sort of almost as a tension thatīs building, and then releasing- then youīr THERE! If you are in a detached enough place that your IB is offering suggestions to you and you are so out of the way, that your body is responding to the intention of your IB, THEN you are THERE.

So, weīd get THERE, first.
    Get there, first.
    Let that happen to you.
    Let that EVIDENCE of non-thought happen,
    BEFORE you start receiving the thoughts!

from the clip
    Abraham Hicks ~ Guidance from your Inner Being never warns against , it only encourages towards

from this quote-collection:
    Exceptional quotes about MEDITATION and Quieting your Mind

I like Esther's guided meditation. The one I love on Youtube has lips for a avatar. I teach Mindfulness, so deep breathing and music assist me as anchors. Try slow and build up to a time that feels good. You can also meditate / be mindful when eating, showering..you get it..just push out the thoughts..

Abraham also have one meditation with just music.

Anahid, are you using binaural beats when you use music.

Where does one get an individual mantra from? By the way, one thing I've tried when I have trouble letting go of thoughts is repeat silently to myself: no thoughts, no thoughts, in infinity. It works as my mantra in distracting me from thoughts.

Banned or Not Registered
    Im also wanting to know-how you meditate? Cant see any advices on how to do it in The answers though? That was what he was askungen for right?