Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hurricane irma

Quote Originally Posted by rose essence View Post
    I imagine that the same stories are told in the neighbor island. So why one and not the other? there must certainly be some reason, not necessarily connected.
    I sincerely doubt that the neighbor island was unaffected.

ETA: The OP indicates that several countries were affected.

Abraham says that Step One moments are so valuable they wouldn't take them away from anyone.

I find it interesting that so many people on Facebook were having "turn Irma out to sea" meditations, to me that's a pushing against (without actually knowing how people were truly vibing) and Irma actually went further west than east and out to sea.

I like what Lemon said -- we came for the ride. Certainly no one wants anyone to lose their life, property and livelihood to anything, but we did agree to come here and experience LIFE and all it's varying contrasts.

Quote Originally Posted by WellBeing View Post
    I sincerely doubt that the neighbor island was unaffected.

ETA: The OP indicates that several countries were affected.
    Ah you're right, I read the OP wrong..... as I haven't followed the news I had understood the only St Marteen had been hit and not the others.

Thinking of events back in Europe; which I know a little better, I was quite amazed at the strong earthquake that hit a few years ago an area of Italy (the region of Emilia) that is quite serene, comparatively to other areas of Italy or Europe, it's a very abundant region, productive, politically and socially stable, and absolutely not a sismic area, so it all really came out of left field, or this is how it looks from outside. I know that area well, and there isn't a particular reason why it should be a match to a natural disaster, in the particular time that it happened, and surely not more than other places. You can't even say that it happened because it was expected, as in that particular case it wasn't: geologically it makes no sense at all that there should be an earthquake there, and people kinda knew they were resting on a lot of clay.

Quote Originally Posted by WellBeing View Post

There are wanted aspects to this, if you look for them. Rather than tell the story of "destruction," you could look to the rebuilding that will take place in response to it, a rebuilding that may well have been Asked for by many in these countries but almost certainly would have happened at a much slower pace than will happen now. You might look to the relief that will almost certainly pour into these countries, monies which were perhaps much needed before, but weren't available until these storms provided their "excuse." And it's not just money that will come. There will be opportunities for new industries, for education, perhaps even political reform.

You might point out the lives lost, but perhaps this was the path of least resistance for a number of people to have their "Wheeee!" experience. And "death" is no big deal (from the perspective of your IB) because your IB knows that there is no such thing as "death."

And there is wanted aspects in this for you, too. You now understand that you may have a story about "death" or about whether people put Tabasco sauce in their pies which does not serve you. You have an opportunity to understand that this planet that we're on is self-adjusting in so many ways, and we want that, particularly when we ourselves haven't been doing the sorts of self-adjusting that we intended to do for ourselves.

But you can't find any of those wanted things as long as you're looking your unwanted end of this stick. You can't get there from here.
    Oh, this is really really good! A very vortexy answer.

Ah you're right, I read the OP wrong..... as I haven't followed the news I had understood the only St Marteen had been hit and not the others.

Thinking of events back in Europe; which I know a little better, I was quite amazed at the strong earthquake that hit a few years ago an area of Italy (the region of Emilia) that is quite serene, comparatively to other areas of Italy or Europe, it's a very abundant region, productive, politically and socially stable, and absolutely not a sismic area, so it all really came out of left field, or this is how it looks from outside. I know that area well, and there isn't a particular reason why it should be a match to a natural disaster, in the particular time that it happened, and surely not more than other places. You can't even say that it happened because it was expected, as in that particular case it wasn't: geologically it makes no sense at all that there should be an earthquake there, and people kinda knew they were resting on a lot of clay.
    rose essence, perhaps, as WB suggested, these people in Italy were asking for renovation, renewal and rebuilding, but they didn't believe they could get it without "paying" for it with some calamity. Didn't feel worthy enough.

I don't really think so, they are very laborious people, and it's one of the most thriving regions in Italy. Ferrari cars are made there, Maserati cars, Ducati motorbikes, they've sold tiles allover the world since the 60's, Modena has been the richest town in Europe for decades, Parma is the capital town of opera, where parma ham and parmesan were invented and are produced, and pasta Barilla, Bologna has the most ancient university in Europe. Most made in Italy fashion-related firms are based in that area, and they have thrived recently as all luxury-goods industry. It's always been one of the most leading edge areas in Italy, also politically, together with its "cousin" Tuscany. I don't think they have issues around worthiness, at all.
    Renovation, renewal and rebuilding has been a strong theme in Italy and Europe after the war because of the bombing, and ever since the early 80's: that's when historical centres began being restored and people began to restore all properties. It just became fashionable to do so, allover Europe. There is nothing really in need of being rebuilt there because it's been their trip for 30 years already, you go to medieval towns and they are in mint conditions. Now you wouldn't say the same in other more poor areas of Europe or of Italy, where money doesn't reach, but it isn't the case of this region. So not even buidlings may have been a match lol! it's a mystery........

Beloved Woman paradise-on-earth's Avatar
    I don't really think so, they are very laborious people, and it's one of the most thriving regions in Italy. Ferrari cars are made there, Maserati cars, Ducati motorbikes, they've sold tiles allover the world, Modena has been the richest town in Europe for decades, Parma is the capital town of opera, where parma ham and parmesan were invented and are produced, and pasta Barilla, Bologna has the most ancient university in Europe. Most made in Italy fashion-related firms are based in that area, and they have thrived recently as all luxury-goods industry. It's always been one of the most leading edge areas in Italy, also politically, together with its "cousin" Tuscany. I don't think they have issues around worthiness, at all.
    I learned that all of Italy would always have been a highly vulcanic-active region, with 2 infamous and active vulcanos... (they are a few hundred kilometers apart from the last activities but that doesnīt make such a big difference when it comes to tectonic activity, does it?) Iīm not personally familiar with the region as you are, but I read that Italy was always regarded to be in high danger of earthquakes, and they DO have high building-standards for earthquake-proof architecture, but -so they quote insiders- the authorities are known to not care about them, as long there was no disaster for some time.

Thatīs why 2016 one city (per example Norcia, which learned from the last disaster in 1979) comes out with almost no damage and stood safe and sound, while another city (per example Amatrice) - as close to the center of the earthquake as the other, seems to be destroyed completely. The causes for not caring for the security standards are named to be favoritism, corruption and fatalism, itīs been called "the tragic earthquake-rule of Italy". Press says that itīs the same discussion and theme again and again and again: Nothing changes, while all resources (brilliant architects, hightec tools and -know-how as money) are in place- UNTIL there is a disaster.

Reminds me of the "impossible" situation that it is a wellknown fact that the 4 million people around Naples are impossible to get evacuated in time, in case of another eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, that could come any time, and so the repetition of Pompeiiīs dramatic history is known to be just a matter of time, just in a much bigger dimension. And nobody cares.

So it seems to run a bit at least in the traditional Italian take on life- wellknown AND expected... -And which might play out as the fear or even desire of many residents, that "things get shook up a bit"...

Super Moderator Hands in the Clay's Avatar
    An old post from 2013 from the thread linked below:

Every day, a couple of times a day, I take out a weapon and destroy not only entire families, but entire communities. It feels good when I do it. They had settled in, reproduced, reveled in their advancement, were making happy lives, doing what they do as time passed by, and then I came in like a hurricane and wiped them all out, ignoring their screams, clenching my teeth as I smashed them to smithereens and washed them away into oblivion, without a shred of remorse.

I brush my teeth. And those bacteria are destroyed. It's a small thing I do two or three times a day, and it's a part of life.

The only reason this feels big and awful to you is because you have a BELIEF THAT IT IS BAD AND CAN SERVE NO POSITIVE PURPOSE. You were just raised to think that adults should behave this way and children should behave that way. The same kind of funky belief that says it's worse for a child to die than for an old person to die. That it's worse to eat cats than to eat cows. It's JUST A BELIEF, AND ONE THAT IS, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, MEANINGLESS IN AN ETERNAL UNIVERSE, other than the emotional indicator it gives you.

http://www.abeforum.com/showthread.php?33346-Long-time-Aber-I-need-to-talk-to-myself-quot-outloud-quot-in-public-forum

POE that area in particular is not sismic at all, in fact it is still classified as of low risk of sism by the INGV (Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia). It is true that earthquakes are a frequent occurrence in Italy, and people may have observed that and created momentum. But in Emilia they all know it is not a sismic area, so people weren't even remotely contemplating that it could happen. Also if we admit as true that there's some kind of italian earthquake momentum, that would be allover Italy, wouldn't it make more sense then in LOA terms that a more troubled and ootv italian region should be a match to it rather than Emilia?

ETA: sorry I hadn't seen the part about corruption and favoritism etc. In the end these are mostly by-products of lack of money-flow, and Norcia is not comparable to Amatrice in that sense, Norcia is a very important catholic center, they have all an industry around pilgrims monasteries etc. and tourism! And, truffles! Amatrice, who ever heard of it? Besides, you just can't compare the north of Italy with the center, it's an all different set of parameters. Those problems you talk about are mainly southern problems.
    Houses are built well in Emilia because there is money-flow. Also, on the trail of the very successful communist local administrations of the 70's in Emilia, that is a place where there is next to no corruption.
    I've seen averagely worse quality of construction in France for ex. just to give an external parameter, and I live in the economically florid region of Rhone-Alps. Not to talk of Spain, which is horrible standard.
    Last edited by rose essence; 1 Week Ago at 04:50 AM.

HITC there's no denying that a natural disaster is not a particularly smooth path of least resistance to expansion, so one can only acknowledge what the indicator indicates. If we start questioning that, then it all goes rather wishy-washy, it seems to me.
    Last edited by rose essence; 1 Week Ago at 04:35 AM.