Thread: Waiting for inspiration to act

Waiting for inspiration to act

Hello wonderful Abers,

A few relevant facts about me, since it's been quite some time since I last posted here:

I've been very devoutly meditating at least twice a day (morning, and before bed), more if I feel like it, keeping a gratitude journal of at least 10 things per day that I genuinely appreciate (again, more if I feel like it, but always at least 10), and just generally making my first priority always be to feel good, since the beginning of May. So it's been about 4 1/2 months and I am staying true to my practices.

I've had no real income since August of 2015, when I totally burned out on the wonderful job I'd manifested in 2012 and had to quit. Since then I've been living with my parents and borrowing money from my father to get by. I hate being in this situation, but my motivation to take care of myself is so deep into the crapper that living like this seems preferable to me over putting the kind of effort into myself that any obvious routes of substantial income require. I closely associate this lack of desire to "get off my ass and get a job" etc. with physical illness that I've been experiencing since I was 13 or 14 years old, as well as psychological illness that I've been experiencing my whole life due to my emotionally abusive mother. (I'm only "giving attention to what I don't want" for the purpose of providing relevant information.)

Abraham talks about making your priority be to feel good, and not forcing yourself into action until you feel inspired. I have heard the same thing from other teachers, and I buy it, because I have been efforting and efforting and efforting, and I'm tired of all the efforting with no results. I've got absolutely no desire to force myself into effort anymore. I want to be taking inspired action. So, I've spent lots of time doing the best I can to feel what it will feel like to have money again -- and to focus on achieving the *feeling* of freedom, rather than the object of money itself. I also meditate every day and do my gratitude journalling. Even with all that, I find it extremely difficult to feel good. Abe makes it sound so damn easy. "Just talk yourself into a better-feeling place. Just soothe yourself. That's all this is. That's all the work you have to do." Well why does it seem so damn hard for me? Occasionally I get into a somewhat happier-feeling place, but it doesn't last and I'm not seeing any manifestations.

Can anyone give me any clues about what I'm doing wrong? Thank you all so much!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinBaggins View Post
    Since then I've been living with my parents and borrowing money from my father to get by. I hate being in this situation...

Can anyone give me any clues about what I'm doing wrong?
    I wouldn't say that you're doing something "wrong," but that's what you're doing that keeping things the way they are. By that, I mean, when you look at your situation and you "hate" it, and presumably you feel the same way about it, along with those other issues you've talked about previously here in the same way, such as your relationship with your mother or your health, it's understandable that what manifests is pretty much the same, is it not? That's because what you think, how you feel and what manifests is ALWAYS a perfect match. So if you want what manifests to change, what you think about and how you feel has to change. If you look at what you wrote back in your "extreme depression" thread, what you're saying about your experience is essentially the same, and that's why things are the same.

The other piece of it is this -- if you're used to feeling what you've described as "extreme depression," it's not likely that you're going to be able to jump all the way to the feeling of FREEDOM, is it? At least not at once, and even if you were able to make a leap like that, it's not something you'd be able to sustain. It's really a matter of spending time on subjects that are easier to feel better about, and as you're able to feel a little better more easily then you can start finding ways to feel better about subjects in your experience that you're not able to stay away from because they reoccur too frequently.

Ultimately, Abraham's talk about talking yourself into a better feeling place and soothing yourself really is the work. It only seems like it "doesn't work" when you're trying to make vibrational jumps you can't make rather than just focusing on feeling BETTER. Now, perhaps this is picking a topic that's a bit too thorny, but feeling BETTER about a topic like your relationship with your mother might start by moving from feeling "abused" to feeling anger and revenge. Maybe what feels better might look like describing her as your "emotionally abusive mother" and softening the way you look at what happened between the two of you. You're not going to be able to jump all the way to, "Oh, I love and appreciate my mother," and you can feel the discord if you were to entertain that idea. You might be able to talk about how it was unfair that she didn't do the sorts of things you wanted her to do, or refrained from the things you didn't want her to do. You might be able to take the edge off of how you look at where you are and what happened by being less descriptive and more general. You'll be able to gradually back off your strong critique of her, which will feel like relief. You've got to feel your way through it.

Now I'm not saying you have to start with that particular topic (or that it's necessarily a good idea to start with that topic), but in addition to the examples I've already given in your "extreme depression," thread that gives you ideas on where you want to go from here.

Hey! Inspired Action is whatever makes you feel better or if you're dealing with negative emotions it's whatever gives you relief. That's all for example - the next thing I'm going to do is going to sleep because I'm sleepy and that's what feels better at the moment.
    I also don't like finding better feeling thoughts - it's tiring for me. Better feeling actions are way better for me - you should try it. these actions don't need to be connected to your desires - as Abraham say: "Alignment is Alignment is Alignment and if some things get you there faster than others, then take the Path of least resistance".
    You don't have to find better feeling thoughts about anything, you just have to let go of resistance
    I hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by betterandbetter View Post
    Hey! Inspired Action is whatever makes you feel better or if you're dealing with negative emotions it's whatever gives you relief.

It's certainly true that Abraham recommends doing whatever might feel better to you -- whether that's taking a nap or going on a walk or petting your cat. That said, what you're describing is NOT what they mean when they talk about "inspired action."

"Inspired action" is the natural consequence of momentum. As Abraham points out, you could be in anger and inflame your sense of anger and be "inspired" to punch someone in the nose, but that's not the sort of inspiration you're really looking for. The sort of "inspired action" that Abraham means is all about finding ways to feel BETTER, and then the momentum from that improved feeling will inspire you to take action... but the better feeling has to come first. If you don't feel better, you're not going to get inspiration to act other than the sorts of things that keep you where you are.
    I also don't like finding better feeling thoughts - it's tiring for me.

If that's the case, you haven't found better feeling thoughts. Thoughts that feel better FEEL BETTER. Thoughts that tire you feel worse. Usually that's because you're trying to make a bigger vibrational leap than you can make. Thought that genuinely feel better don't tire you, they actually allow the energy to flow more easily. Abraham gives the example of someone who's in depression and finds thoughts of ANGER, and how those thoughts of anger are like a breath of fresh air.

Better feeling actions are way better for me - you should try it. these actions don't need to be connected to your desires - as Abraham say: "Alignment is Alignment is Alignment and if some things get you there faster than others, then take the Path of least resistance".

If you can distract yourself with things that are easy to feel good about, that's great. Just remember that distraction isn't the only tool in your toolbox.

No, no, my problem is not that I can't find better feeling thoughts, because there was a time not that long ago when I fell in love with process 22 which is moving up the emotional scale. And I took my time, I definitely wasn't in a rush as I was cleaning up my vibe. But after some time there was more to clean up. I know that it's all about expansion, but I really didn't like this never ending story.
    Actually I gave up on attracting specific things. I just work on feeling good in general, so I can manifest a more positive life. I don't care about specifics anymore, really. The funny thing is that now when I don't care about anything anymore (I finally care ONLY about my feelings), my biggest desire started to unfold. I even thought about writing here about it but I didn't really feel like doing it. Because, well, I don't want it anymore, I am so ready for something way way better. I wanted to ask here why am I getting this desire right now but actually I'm not really interested in answer anymore.
    So distraction is wonderful, I totally love it!

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been doing a lot of what betterandbetter suggests -- sometimes my strategy is to just ask myself "What can I feel the best about doing right this moment," and do whatever really feels best. The thing is, it's really hard for me to "distract" myself fully. Even if I'm paying attention to something that feels good in the moment, thoughts come up like "Playing this game isn't going to magically pull financial security back into your life, you idiot." But looking at jobs stresses me out so much that it makes me feel even worse. I suppose that I somehow have to find relief from those thoughts that come up, even if it's only a little bit of relief?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been doing a lot of what betterandbetter suggests -- sometimes my strategy is to just ask myself "What can I feel the best about doing right this moment," and do whatever really feels best. The thing is, it's really hard for me to "distract" myself fully. Even if I'm paying attention to something that feels good in the moment, thoughts come up like "Playing this game isn't going to magically pull financial security back into your life, you idiot."
    That's why Marc clarified with betterandbetter that distraction is one of many tools that Abraham have suggested to us. Distraction is a handy tool to have in your vibrational toolbox. Like all tools, distraction has its uses and, like all tools, there are times when other tools are preferable.

This is why we encourage our Forum friends to learn to use a variety of vibrational tools. Marc gave you some excellent examples of some of those tools in the thread he referenced. You can do what he did (find thoughts which still seem true to you yet which feel better than that goading thought you've just shared with us). The more tools you have in your vibrational toolbox and the more proficient you are in using them, the more you'll be able to manage your vibration in more and more situations.

And it's understandable that you would be thinking some of those thoughts at this times, because it sounds like you haven't yet practiced your skills of focus. Instead, you've let your vibrational momentum build to the point that you're now sort of habitually thinking these types of thoughts even at times when you're seeking refuge from them.

The good news is that you CAN start to learn, develop and practice these Abraham skills. As you start to practice your skills of focus, you will become more skilled (see what I did there? ) at better directing your focus in ways you want at times you want, just like you're able to do with other skills you now have.

But looking at jobs stresses me out so much that it makes me feel even worse.
    I'd like to fine-tune something here and I'd like you to hear me: It's not “looking at jobs” which stresses you out. It's the thoughts that you think as you look at jobs, or even think about looking at jobs. And you know this to be true because you're stressing out even before you look at jobs.

There's good news in that distinction because you can't really do a lot to change of action process of “looking at jobs.” But you CAN change the way you think (and, therefore, feel) about “looking at jobs.” That will make you less stressed out and will transform your experience of this thing you Believe you need to do. You CAN do what Marc did in his earlier examples to you. You CAN start to soothe your stressing thoughts in that soft, gentle way he demonstrated and you WILL feel less stressed out. Then you'll start to make a distinction in your own mind between the action of looking at jobs and your thoughts and stories about looking at jobs. As you start to show yourself the control you CAN have over your thoughts and stories about this and FEEL the relief that you can create for yourself, you will feel more ready to proceed down that path. That's doubly good news for you because then you become ready to be ready to look at jobs.

I suppose that I somehow have to find relief from those thoughts that come up, even if it's only a little bit of relief?
    Doesn't that beat making yourself miserable and stressed out about these things you are living? If not, why not? (That's an honest question.)

Quote Originally Posted by WellBeing View Post
    .The good news is that you CAN start to learn, develop and practice these Abraham skills.
    A point about learning:

There is a human tendency with this material to take out biggest, hairiest “issue” and use that to learn these skills. Here on the Forum, we often equate this to being like going to the gym for the first time and trying to lift the biggest, heaviest with they have. In a gym, that can be recipe for disaster. With this “work,” there are no “disasters.” It's just s recipe for hard-going or for frustration, etc.

Just like with every other skill that you've learned in your life, you'll have an easier time of it if you pick something light, easy, without a lot of momentum, like that look that cashier gave you today or something “inconsequential” or "unimportant" like that.