Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Partner using Drugs

Yes, I don't want to be a conditional liver, so that I always need to control conditions to feel better, or to leave one person after the other because of things I dislike.

I do want to come into alignment with a satisfying partner, and yes, this person Was that. For almost 5 years he hasn't even been interested at all in drugs, as I mentioned he rarely had alcohol either. And I wasn't controlling him in any way, he naturally did not feel inclined to those substances. Also he was smoking much less. But overall it was a blissful relationship. It almost seems crazy how far from that, it is now.
    I know this year substances increased, as well as him losing his hair, because he's been stressed over money. He also mentioned he wouldn't want to use drugs if he was financially free. So I'm thinking he must be feeling pretty bad to be reaching for more substances. And I certainly don't want to not allow him to feel better..

I'm going to do my best to tend to my alignment with my IB. I'm going to use one subject that always brings me into the vortex, to distract and feel better now.
    Although I now have my partner telling me he doesn't know if he wants to be with me, he doesn't know what he wants now. So now I have to distract myself from this too! Feel like this is all my fault lol. I'm frustrated with myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Foofighters View Post
    I do want to come into alignment with a satisfying partner, and yes, this person Was that.
    This is where things are going screwy. You don't come into alignment with a satisfying partner, your emotional guidance isn't set up to allow you to do that. You come into alignment with your INNER BEING, and in your alignment you're a match to the things that are in your Vortex.
    For almost 5 years he hasn't even been interested at all in drugs, as I mentioned he rarely had alcohol either. And I wasn't controlling him in any way, he naturally did not feel inclined to those substances. Also he was smoking much less. But overall it was a blissful relationship. It almost seems crazy how far from that, it is now.
    It's not crazy, it's the reality that your satisfaction isn't about the partner your with, it's about tending to your alignment and finding reasons to be satisfied. Manifestations are result of what you're offering vibrationally rather than being the cause.
    I know this year substances increased, as well as him losing his hair, because he's been stressed over money. He also mentioned he wouldn't want to use drugs if he was financially free. So I'm thinking he must be feeling pretty bad to be reaching for more substances. And I certainly don't want to not allow him to feel better..
    And more importantly, you haven't been able to maintain your alignment with your IB either.
    I'm going to do my best to tend to my alignment with my IB. I'm going to use one subject that always brings me into the vortex, to distract and feel better now.
    That's great, it's important that you have a subject that allows you to feel good easily.
    Although I now have my partner telling me he doesn't know if he wants to be with me, he doesn't know what he wants now. So now I have to distract myself from this too! Feel like this is all my fault lol. I'm frustrated with myself!
    "Fault" implies a type of blame that we and Abraham never mean. Have you created this? Sure. All it means is that you've been focused on what you don't want and gotten more of it. It also suggests that while distraction is a helpful tool, perhaps it's not the only tool out there for you to use. Once you've regained your balance, it might be a good idea to soothe yourself about how your partner is feeling.

Thanks Marc,
    I do have to tend to my own alignment with my IB.. it is perhaps not all that bad as I've made it to be in my mind.
    Back to basics, my IB, maintain that connection, and then do the 'work' from that feeling place. We'll see how it goes.

For right now, I'm not sure what to do action wise for new years eve.

Every year we have spent it together, we don't care for celebrations or partying on new years. We both liked just being together.
    So now, with all that is happening, his now desire is to get drunk and take drugs with friends, and Then come spend the rest of the night with me.
    So I'm torn, because it's tomorrow and as much as I don't want to spend nye by myself at home, and as much as I just wanted to be with him. He's going to be.. intoxicated and he pretty much has chosen that as a priority this year. I feel I have no choice but to Not see him on nye, because it'll be upsetting for me. But I lose either way because if I'm not with him, I'm by myself at home - knowing that this is a night we usually spend with each other.

How do I feel better about that?? Choosing to see him but feeling horrible because of his state right in front of me. Or choosing to be alone and definitely won't be a happy one. Neither choice feels good! I can't soothe myself completely in one day! I feel like it's hopeless and I should just give up.

For right now, I'm not sure what to do action wise for new years eve.
    As you're pointing out, it really doesn't matter which action you take.
    So I'm torn, because it's tomorrow and as much as I don't want to spend nye by myself at home, and as much as I just wanted to be with him. He's going to be.. intoxicated and he pretty much has chosen that as a priority this year. I feel I have no choice but to Not see him on nye, because it'll be upsetting for me. But I lose either way because if I'm not with him, I'm by myself at home - knowing that this is a night we usually spend with each other.
    You're right, you have the ability to feel like you're losing either way when you talk about why each choice you have is unsatisfactory. You're backing yourself into a corner.
    How do I feel better about that??
    By soothing yourself about the choices you have instead of focusing on what you don't like about them.
    Choosing to see him but feeling horrible because of his state right in front of me. Or choosing to be alone and definitely won't be a happy one. Neither choice feels good! I can't soothe myself completely in one day! I feel like it's hopeless and I should just give up.
    See how you're continuing to back yourself into a corner? That's why it feels hopeless -- not because it IS hopeless, but you shoot down every choice available.

So here's how your partner is leading the way (again) here -- he's made feeling better his priority and he's sticking to it. He's not letting your objections to HOW he's feeling better dissuade him, he's going to do his best to enjoy the evening no matter what. You have that same ability. You could decide, "I don't want to see him intoxicated," and then soothe yourself about staying home. You could decide, "I want to spend NYE with him," and then soothe yourself about what how he's enjoying the evening. You could decide, "I'm going to do some more vibrational work right now because neither of the actions sound all that appealing," and then soothe yourself about not being able to turn everything around completely all at once.

When you're nowhere near feeling "good," you've got to be willing to lower your sights to something achievable: Feeling BETTER. Even if none of the choices you have feel GOOD, you certainly have the ability to feel your way into a choice feeling "not quite as bad."

Thankyou Marc for the guidance, I am now taking a break from the relationship as per my partner's choice. So no nye choice necessary.

I feel like right now, the momentum is too strong, I want to start over. How do I do that vibrationally?
    Do i focus on him or should I focus on other things.
    I just want to let go of all my resistance (I definitely will be meditating often).

There is something more I have to soothe now.. He admitted that his stress/unhappiness began due to a lack of money. He is very realistic and negative (he didn't use to be), and he even went as far to put my desires/goals/business plans down. I hate the way that feels. He was always so positive and supportive, and it feels so bad to have someone you love not only not believing in you, but looking at you with concern or disappointment. I too, used to have much unhappiness from a lack of money, but I actually did manage to soothe myself to the point where I don't worry and am not depressed about that subject. I'm often optimistic and I just don't feel bad about it. Whereas I used to always feel so depressed about it. And now that my partner is really going through that, and bringing me into it, argh that is annoying!

But I know there have been many successful and happy people who wouldn't have had their partner on the same page as them. And of course he doesn't need to see or feel my vision, for me to allow things in my vortex to flow to me. But it feels so bad to know how he's Now viewing me and also this whole money subject. He feels overwhelmed with all the desires we have.

So how can I take this time alone and soothe myself with these issues? I feel he is throwing reality at me, but I believe in what I Feel and know when I'm in the vortex. Nothing can take that clarity away from me. I'm sure many people would have been in a similar situation too.
    Where do I start? Just get into the vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Anjii View Post
    Surely, you mean our accumulated preferences gathered over many lifetimes?

When I wrote that, I was meaning in this lifetime. I suppose we could extend that back over past lifetimes but how are we going to know?

But let's talk about your good questions….

Because in this life, for example, I personally have never eaten a steak, yet still I know I prefer vegetables. A friend of mine has never had a man, still she knows she is into women.

Now, I’m biased but I like my chocolate vs. vanilla example because it's very streamlined. It’s a “little” experience. If you think back (or if you had the experience) it's really hard to accurately describe the experience of chocolate and the experience of vanilla to someone who had never tasted either of them. And there's usually not a lot of thought which pre-influences that decision. For most of us, whether you or I choose chocolate or vanilla isn't a big deal. So, it's only by actually tasting some chocolate and some vanilla that we can decide which we personally prefer.

But, using these teachings, we can build upon the “little” chocolate vs. vanilla example to cover other preferences, such as your preference and the preference of your friend. But, before we do (and we will), because these topics have the potential to be “charged” for some, let me be clear that I am in NO way making any comments about your freedoms, abilities or appropriateness of this decision or that. I’m just explaining my comment in the context of your sharing. And just because my examples are simple does NOT imply that your preferences or your reasons for coming to your preferences are in any way simple or unimportant. You (and your friend) get to prefer whatever you prefer, however you prefer it, for whatever reasons you prefer it (even if you can’t verbalize your reasons).

You’ve heard Abraham say this: You lived your life, you were having your personal experiences and, as a result of your personal experiences, you came to some decisions for yourself. Now, I don’t know anything about your experiences or your decisions so let me talk hypothetically. As part of your life experiences, you probably have seen a variety of foods. Some of those foods might have been colorful and some might have been shades of brownish. As a result, you may have decided that you prefer the colorful foods; you prefer the way that they look. You may have been in a house where beef was cooked and you experienced the aroma of cooking beef. You may have decided that you prefer foods which did not smell like that. You may have been served swordfish at a meal where someone pronounced it “the steak of the seas.” As a result, you may have come to a new preference that you preferred the texture of vegetables, particularly those which are cooked so that they retain their vibrant color and that crunch which pleases you. Also, as a result of your conversation, you may come to a conclusion that if swordfish was “the steak of the seas” and didn’t much care for its texture, it was highly likely that you wouldn’t much care for the texture of steak as well.

We could go on and on. As a result of all of this, you may have come to a decision that it’s highly probable that you wouldn’t like a steak. And that’s an appropriate decision for you to have come to as a result of your personal life experiences. So, I would make a distinction between a “decision” and a “personal preference.”

Do you personally KNOW that you wouldn’t like a steak? Not until you’ve tried it. Until you try it for yourself, you’re relying on other people’s experience (like your friend who dubbed the swordfish “the steak of the sea”) to support your decision. Do you “have to” KNOW in order to make your decision and to live according to your decision? No, not at all. Nor does it make your decision inappropriate. You get to choose. Abraham only ask that we check in with our emotional guidance system so that we’re sure we’re making our decisions from the most aligned perspective that we have available to us now. That way, our decisions will be closest to the preferences we have put into our Vortex.

We can do a similar exercise for your friend. And if you like, we can include some of Abraham’s quotes about intentions we had before we came into this physical life. But it’s essentially the same sort of process.

Do we have to know drugs to decide we do prefer not to use them?

You may decide not to use them based on how others have described the experience. You might have had disorienting experiences yourself. As a result of your own experiences, you may come to your preference for clarity. You may have heard others talk about their experience of--say--disorientation, remember your own preference for clarity and decide that the drug experience is something you probably don’t want to experience. But until you’ve had an experience through which you have come to your personal preference for clarity, it’s harder to make that decision, isn’t it? And that example of the “preference for clarity” is interesting because there are those drugs which are said to induce clarity or mind-expansion for others and there are those people who take drugs for that experience of clarity rather than disorientation. And our preferences can be multifaceted. IOW, we can have a combination of preferences for clarity, and for vitality, and for conscious and deliberate management of your focus, etc. which can all contribute to our decision not to partake in this substance or that.

In all these cases, I would say that the clumsiness of words don’t serve us. Whilst it’s common for us to say “I prefer…” in these cases, a more accurate description of what’s going on vibrationally might be “I’ve come to some preferences and everything that I’ve heard or learned about these other experiences (steaks, men, drugs, etc.) tells me they are likely to lead me away from what I know I do prefer. So, I’ve simply decided to move in the direction of what I know I prefer.” To use Abraham’s story about the buffet, you may not know what that wobbly, milky-green looking dish is but you have some preferences as to the color you prefer in your food and you might prefer that it not wobble like it is, so you can simply decide that there’s not enough calling to you to put it on your plate. You don’t truly know if you prefer it or not, but because there’s not enough calling to you. Who knows? If you put it on your plate and gave it a fair try, you might like it. Are you doing anything “wrong” by making your decision not to put it on your plate? No. You cannot get it wrong.

Can we not be, do and have all we desire? I hear you, because being in alignment means letting go of all judgement and wanting another person to be as we want them to, but according to the teachings it can be possible, can't it? I am asking for curiosities sake.

Marc already covered this question and I agree with his answer.

I did want to suggest that your definition of “being in alignment” could use some fine-tuning. I would say that last piece better:
    ...and allowing them to be as they are, even if they are not being as we want them to be….

That’s what our IBs are doing. So, to be “in alignment” with our IBs, we’ll want to do what our IBs are doing.
    Last edited by WellBeing; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:29 AM. Reason: Formatting

I feel like right now, the momentum is too strong, I want to start over. How do I do that vibrationally?Do i focus on him or should I focus on other things.
    If the momentum is too strong (and it’s understandable that it might be) and your intention is to reset your momentum, then you’ll probably have the easiest time of fulfilling your intention by getting off of this topic (and everything associated with it) and focusing instead on topics which are easy for you to feel “good” about.

I just want to let go of all my resistance (I definitely will be meditating often).

This, too, is understandable but it’s not a realistic intention. Let yourself off the hook. You simply cannot let go of “all” your resistance. So, make it easier for yourself.

Which thought feels better?:

• I just want to let go of all my resistance.
    • I’m looking forward to releasing my resistance.
    • I’m looking forward to the relief that comes to me as I release my resistance.

There is something more I have to soothe now..

<quietly> No, you don’t "have to." And certainly, not now.

So how can I take this time alone and soothe myself with these issues?

You can start by letting your momentum subside, so that you can reset your momentum, as you wisely stated in the beginning of your post. You can focus on something--anything--else which is easy for you to feel good about. Why don’t you do it here?

I feel like right now, the momentum is too strong, I want to start over. How do I do that vibrationally?
    Take a nap. Meditate. Listen to beautiful music. Take a walk. Watch a funny movie (but not a RomCom).
    Do i focus on him or should I focus on other things.
    If the momentum is too strong, it makes sense to focus on other things and let that momentum subside, does it not?
    It's unlikely that you're going to be able to let it all go at once because LOA doesn't let you make big vibrational jumps. You might be able to get off the subject and let the momentum subside, and once that happens you can start soothing some of that resistance. As we've talked about before, don't put yourself in position to fail by expecting yourself to try to solve everything at once. It's not possible, nor is it necessary. All you have to do is to move bit by bit.
    There is something more I have to soothe now.. He admitted that his stress/unhappiness began due to a lack of money. He is very realistic and negative (he didn't use to be), and he even went as far to put my desires/goals/business plans down. I hate the way that feels. He was always so positive and supportive, and it feels so bad to have someone you love not only not believing in you, but looking at you with concern or disappointment.
    Yet I think you realize that his reaction is all about where he is vibrationally rather than having anything to do with you. Asking him to be "positive and supportive" when he's feeling very bad is sort of like asking him to give you a big pile of cash when he's really upset because he doesn't have any money. It doesn't matter whether he cares about you or not, he just doesn't have it to give. He doesn't have positivity or support to give you. It feels bad to expect him to try to give you something he simply isn't in the position to give you.
    I too, used to have much unhappiness from a lack of money, but I actually did manage to soothe myself to the point where I don't worry and am not depressed about that subject. I'm often optimistic and I just don't feel bad about it. Whereas I used to always feel so depressed about it. And now that my partner is really going through that, and bringing me into it, argh that is annoying!
    You have the ability to soothe yourself about this just like you soothed yourself about money. Vibration is vibration, you know what to do and how to do it. But here's the other side of things -- how is okay for you to have been unhappy in relationship to money and have the space to work your way out of it, but not okay for him? Seems like you would be someone who could relate to what he's going through and be able to offer through the clarity of your example your knowing that things are going to be okay and that he too can find his way to a better feeling place about it. The issue is that you haven't been doing that, you've been "Argh, that is annoying!" and "He shouldn't be taking drugs because I don't like it!"
    But I know there have been many successful and happy people who wouldn't have had their partner on the same page as them. And of course he doesn't need to see or feel my vision, for me to allow things in my vortex to flow to me. But it feels so bad to know how he's Now viewing me and also this whole money subject. He feels overwhelmed with all the desires we have.
    Well, there's this subject that we keep circling around over and over again -- "here's yet another thing my partner is doing wrong that makes me feel bad." Of course, that's not what you mean to be doing, but it's what you're doing. What feels bad isn't that he's doing something wrong, it's your criticism of where he is that feels bad.

Abraham used to tell the story of a parent whose child is learning to walk and sees the child try to stand and take a step, but wobbles and falls down. Parents never are so distressed that the child can't walk that they yell at them, "GET UP, YOU LITTLE DUMMY!" Rather, they understand that learning to walk is a natural part of growing up, that it's perfectly okay to wobble and fall down and that it's actually a necessary part of the experience as the child's muscles start to strengthen and learn to support them. Nor does the parent pick the child up and carry them across the room because they think the child will never be able to do it right. Rather than being distressed that the child isn't getting it right, they're standing there in their knowing that all is well, cheering them on with every step and knowing that the little spills just aren't a big deal. I think both of you could use a bit more relaxation and reassurance than the "GET UP, YOU LITTLE DUMMY!" that's been going on, don't you agree?
    So how can I take this time alone and soothe myself with these issues? I feel he is throwing reality at me,
    Well, he IS throwing reality at you, and to be quite honest, it's a really good thing. NEGATIVE EMOTION EXISTS. Sometimes people are out of the Vortex and don't have a handle on things in the moment. But guess what? Your IB doesn't view those things as being inappropriate. In fact, experiencing contrast is an intended part of the experience. So is negative emotion. All of that is part of the process that everyone is going to experience. Given that it's a perfectly natural part of the experience, doesn't it seem like a good idea to start making peace with the fact that he is where he is instead of making it something inappropriate that he's doing?

Where do I start? Just get into the vortex?
    As I mentioned, for the time being, get off the subject. Let things settle down for a bit so they're not throbbing so much. Once you've regained your balance, you can do a little work to feel better about all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by WellBeing View Post
    When I wrote that, I was meaning in this lifetime. I suppose we could extend that back over past lifetimes but how are we going to know?
    Yeah, but we don't come as a blank slate, at least that is what I believe and experience...so there are some preferences we came to experience?

But let's talk about your good questions….

Now, I’m biased but I like my chocolate vs. vanilla example because it's very streamlined. It’s a “little” experience. If you think back (or if you had the experience) it's really hard to accurately describe the experience of chocolate and the experience of vanilla to someone who had never tasted either of them. And there's usually not a lot of thought which pre-influences that decision. For most of us, whether you or I choose chocolate or vanilla isn't a big deal. So, it's only by actually tasting some chocolate and some vanilla that we can decide which we personally prefer.

But, using these teachings, we can build upon the “little” chocolate vs. vanilla example to cover other preferences, such as your preference and the preference of your friend. But, before we do (and we will), because these topics have the potential to be “charged” for some, let me be clear that I am in NO way making any comments about your freedoms, abilities or appropriateness of this decision or that. I’m just explaining my comment in the context of your sharing. And just because my examples are simple does NOT imply that your preferences or your reasons for coming to your preferences are in any way simple or unimportant. You (and your friend) get to prefer whatever you prefer, however you prefer it, for whatever reasons you prefer it (even if you can’t verbalize your reasons).
    Funny, I didn't want to include the lesbian example of my friend, I thought it might be *loaded*...Thank you for being so considerate, there is no need for that, however.

You’ve heard Abraham say this: You lived your life, you were having your personal experiences and, as a result of your personal experiences, you came to some decisions for yourself. Now, I don’t know anything about your experiences or your decisions so let me talk hypothetically. As part of your life experiences, you probably have seen a variety of foods. Some of those foods might have been colorful and some might have been shades of brownish. As a result, you may have decided that you prefer the colorful foods; you prefer the way that they look. You may have been in a house where beef was cooked and you experienced the aroma of cooking beef. You may have decided that you prefer foods which did not smell like that. You may have been served swordfish at a meal where someone pronounced it “the steak of the seas.” As a result, you may have come to a new preference that you preferred the texture of vegetables, particularly those which are cooked so that they retain their vibrant color and that crunch which pleases you. Also, as a result of your conversation, you may come to a conclusion that if swordfish was “the steak of the seas” and didn’t much care for its texture, it was highly likely that you wouldn’t much care for the texture of steak as well.

We could go on and on. As a result of all of this, you may have come to a decision that it’s highly probable that you wouldn’t like a steak. And that’s an appropriate decision for you to have come to as a result of your personal life experiences. So, I would make a distinction between a “decision” and a “personal preference.”

Do you personally KNOW that you wouldn’t like a steak? Not until you’ve tried it. Until you try it for yourself, you’re relying on other people’s experience (like your friend who dubbed the swordfish “the steak of the sea”) to support your decision. Do you “have to” KNOW in order to make your decision and to live according to your decision? No, not at all. Nor does it make your decision inappropriate. You get to choose. Abraham only ask that we check in with our emotional guidance system so that we’re sure we’re making our decisions from the most aligned perspective that we have available to us now. That way, our decisions will be closest to the preferences we have put into our Vortex.

We can do a similar exercise for your friend. And if you like, we can include some of Abraham’s quotes about intentions we had before we came into this physical life. But it’s essentially the same sort of process.

Thank you. This is food for thoughts. Of course, I don't personally KNOW I don't like steaks. I only personally know, I prefer men and I prefer not to take drugs (both from experience, because I have experimented in these areas )

You may decide not to use them based on how others have described the experience. You might have had disorienting experiences yourself. As a result of your own experiences, you may come to your preference for clarity. You may have heard others talk about their experience of--say--disorientation, remember your own preference for clarity and decide that the drug experience is something you probably don’t want to experience. But until you’ve had an experience through which you have come to your personal preference for clarity, it’s harder to make that decision, isn’t it? And that example of the “preference for clarity” is interesting because there are those drugs which are said to induce clarity or mind-expansion for others and there are those people who take drugs for that experience of clarity rather than disorientation. And our preferences can be multifaceted. IOW, we can have a combination of preferences for clarity, and for vitality, and for conscious and deliberate management of your focus, etc. which can all contribute to our decision not to partake in this substance or that.

In all these cases, I would say that the clumsiness of words don’t serve us. Whilst it’s common for us to say “I prefer…” in these cases, a more accurate description of what’s going on vibrationally might be “I’ve come to some preferences and everything that I’ve heard or learned about these other experiences (steaks, men, drugs, etc.) tells me they are likely to lead me away from what I know I do prefer. So, I’ve simply decided to move in the direction of what I know I prefer.” To use Abraham’s story about the buffet, you may not know what that wobbly, milky-green looking dish is but you have some preferences as to the color you prefer in your food and you might prefer that it not wobble like it is, so you can simply decide that there’s not enough calling to you to put it on your plate. You don’t truly know if you prefer it or not, but because there’s not enough calling to you. Who knows? If you put it on your plate and gave it a fair try, you might like it. Are you doing anything “wrong” by making your decision not to put it on your plate? No. You cannot get it wrong.

Marc already covered this question and I agree with his answer.

I did want to suggest that your definition of “being in alignment” could use some fine-tuning. I would say that last piece better:
    ...and allowing them to be as they are, even if they are not being as we want them to be….

That’s what our IBs are doing. So, to be “in alignment” with our IBs, we’ll want to do what our IBs are doing.
    Thank you