Thread: Momentum?

Momentum?

There is something I don't understand about momentum.

From my understanding, and from what I've heard from Abraham and read on these forums, there are basically two ways of manifesting something. The first way is by focusing on it regularly to line up your vibration with that thing, and releasing any resistance that gets in the way. This could be called the deliberate way. And as you focus on the thing, the momentum in regards to that goal is speeding up.

The other way is more non-deliberate. From what I understand you can just ask for something, then focus on something totally different, just feel good, never think about the subject again and it will come into your life. But in that case there's really no momentum since you're not focusing on it. Do I have that right?

So I have a lot of experiences with the first method, and not so much with the second.

I only started to have more success with money when I decided I wouldn't stop focusing until I had a certain amount. I was persistent with it, and focused on the goal every day and just knew it had to come, and it did. There was lots of momentum, and it happened quickly.

I've also noticed that if I don't give focus to something, it seems to wither. Last year I had a bit of time where I couldn't focus on marketing my business much, because I was distracted by other things. As time went on, I noticed less and less activity, because I was focusing on it less. But it was still a desire to have a successful business, so why didn't the second method above kick in when I was distracted with other things?

And finally, I have experienced the non-deliberate method. I just manifested a new laptop because one day I thought, “I really need to get a new laptop soon.” I didn't even set it as an intention, but a few days later my mother called me telling me about a good sale on just the laptop I wanted.

But the role of momentum still confuses me. What's the point of it if we can just totally get off the subject and allow it to come? Is there a positive benefit to speeding up momentum on a subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Anything Is Possible View Post
    There is something I don't understand about momentum.
    The piece you're reaching for really isn't about momentum, it's about the absence of resistance.
    From my understanding, and from what I've heard from Abraham and read on these forums, there are basically two ways of manifesting something. The first way is by focusing on it regularly to line up your vibration with that thing, and releasing any resistance that gets in the way. This could be called the deliberate way. And as you focus on the thing, the momentum in regards to that goal is speeding up.
    I'd describe it a little differently: In lining up, you're deliberately soothing your resistance so that when you focus on your desire, you're not contradicting it through your resistance.
    The other way is more non-deliberate. From what I understand you can just ask for something, then focus on something totally different, just feel good, never think about the subject again and it will come into your life. But in that case there's really no momentum since you're not focusing on it. Do I have that right?
    Not quite. When you ask, Source automatically responds. Your desire is in the Vortex and your IB is always calling to you. As long as you're not doing something to contradict your desire, it comes naturally. It's not necessarily not deliberate, it's just not as direct.
    So I have a lot of experiences with the first method, and not so much with the second.
    You likely have more experience with the second method than you realize. There are lots of things that you desire that you don't think about and in your absence of resistance, they come. The sun comes up every day and you don't spend a moment visualizing it coming up. You focus on other things and in your absence of resistance, it just happens. There's plenty in your life that operates that way.
    I only started to have more success with money when I decided I wouldn't stop focusing until I had a certain amount. I was persistent with it, and focused on the goal every day and just knew it had to come, and it did. There was lots of momentum, and it happened quickly.
    That's great. You can certainly use your focus in that way and it can be successful. As the way you're used to feeling on the topic of money gets better an better, the gap between what you want and where you want to be shrinks. Eventually you'll have to spend less focus to get the same sorts of results.
    I've also noticed that if I don't give focus to something, it seems to wither. Last year I had a bit of time where I couldn't focus on marketing my business much, because I was distracted by other things. As time went on, I noticed less and less activity, because I was focusing on it less.
    The key here is that you were basically relying on your action, rather than focus. It makes sense that if you believe that a certain amount of action will yield some results, then not taking that action will mean those results cease. What you didn't talk about was how you feel about your business generally when you're not taking that action. Often times we'll use action to try to make up for our lack of alignment.
    But it was still a desire to have a successful business, so why didn't the second method above kick in when I was distracted with other things?
    First, notice the difference between not taking the action of doing marketing and not focusing on the subject of your business at all so that your alignment in other areas trains your vibration on business too. Second, are you suggesting that the distraction was by other subjects on which you were really aligned? Now I wasn't there, but I'll bet a whole dollar that the sorts of distractions you're talking about weren't the type that allowed your alignment on those subjects to dominate your vibration in the way Abraham means when they're talking about this.
    And finally, I have experienced the non-deliberate method. I just manifested a new laptop because one day I thought, “I really need to get a new laptop soon.” I didn't even set it as an intention, but a few days later my mother called me telling me about a good sale on just the laptop I wanted.
    That's how things work when there's no gap between your desire and your belief. Contrast causes you to ask and it comes effortlessly.
    But the role of momentum still confuses me. What's the point of it if we can just totally get off the subject and allow it to come? Is there a positive benefit to speeding up momentum on a subject?
    Because focusing deliberately on a subject and molding your vibration into place until things are the way you want them to be can be really fun and satisfying.

There are two essential forms of “momentum:” Wanted momentum and Unwanted momentum. As we focus on anything (whether it's a desire or a manifested condition or a practiced thought), we are adding “momentum.” The important question you want to ask yourself is, “Is this Wanted or Unwanted momentum?” You can tell by checking in with your emotional guidance system. Unwanted momentum, which comes our focus on the Unwanted/Lack-or-Absence end of any “stick,” will bring us more Unwanted or Lack-or-Absence. In a sense, you would be “deliberately” (although Abraham use that term in a different sense that you're using it here) creating a reality that you do not want.

In both your presentations ,you're leaving out the important piece of your IB, the larger, vibrational portion of You which is standing in your Vortex and is ALWAYS focusing, in a non-resistant fashion, on what you want. That's a powerful source of wanted momentum. That's the momentum of the Stream of Well-Being, which is the basis of this entire universe.

I've also noticed that if I don't give focus to something, it seems to wither. Last year I had a bit of time where I couldn't focus on marketing my business much, because I was distracted by other things.
    How did these other things feel as they distracted you? Were they “issues”, “challenges”, “problems” that demanded your attention? Because those labels (and your emotions) would let you know if you were doing Step 3-Allowing or if you were resisting? When we are Allowing, we are Allowing everything that we've put in our Vortex. The converse is also true. When we are resisting, we are resisting everything that we've put in our Vortex. So, it wasn't your lack of attention which caused your withering experience. It was your resistant vibration about these other things as well as your expectation that you need to focus attention on your desire which caused your “withering.”

For example, you may have seen (or had the experience yourself) instances where someone fell in love and as they focused solely on the delicious newness of that delightful experience, a lot of their other areas of their lives improved as well. In this case, they weren't giving much attention to those other areas. However, their Allowing vibration was fomi ant,so all the stuff in their Vortex started to flow to them. The opposite of the “withering" you're expecting.

[QUOTE=Anything Is Possible;996573] …so why didn't the second method above kick in when I was distracted with other things?[QUOTE=Anything Is Possible;996573]
    You've been leaving out of your post your attention to your emotional guidance system which is how you can tell whether your Allowing or resisting. We have to read between your lines and guess (but you could know). My guess is that you were distracted in an resistant manner by your other things which created your “withering" experience.

Here's a fun question for you to ponder: Where do you think your thought of “I really need to get a new laptop soon” came from? Wasn't that thought a product of momentum, whether you were paying attention to your momentum or not? IOW,you had been observing your laptop and,in your observation of your laptop, you were Asking (capitalized to indicate Abraham's meaning of this word, which is different than your meaning) and launching your RoDs about your laptop,adding to your Vortex. Now, you don't tell us but, generally, when we identify that we need a new something to replace what we have, that's often (usually? always?) a Step 1 moment. That's all right because sometime after that, you were able to shift from Step 1 to Step 3. As a result of your shift, you were able to Allow your manifestation of your mother's announcement of the sale.

What's the point of it if we can just totally get off the subject and allow it to come?
    Abraham teach us about momentum so that we can work with momentum. To that end, it's helpful to understand that we can create Wanted and Unwanted momentum. It's helpful for us to be able to discern between the two. It's helpful for us to be aware of when we are creating which type of momentum. It's helpful for us to know some of the properties of momentum so that we can more effectively (i.e., more comfortably) work with the momentum that we have going on.

Is there a positive benefit to speeding up momentum on a subject?
    Abraham sometimes compare momentum to the engines inside our cars. We don't need to know how our engines work in order to drive our cars. However, sometimes understanding how our cars’ engines work helps us become more effective drivers and opens us up to more strategies for driving our cars. But we don't need to get inside the hood of our cars and move the pistons and belts of our engines.

In a similar fashion, momentum is the LoA's job. We don't need to get in there and push the pistons or pull the belts of momentum. That's the LoA's business, not our own.

We don't need to “speed up” momentum, because our desire is DONE in Step 2, in the very instant of our Asking (Step 1). If we are ever without our desire, it's only because of our own resistance. So, we don't need to speed up our momentum in order to get our stuff. We “need to” release.our resistance to get our stuff. We can either stop practicing our resistance by withdrawing our resistant attention from a topic and focusing instead on a topic that's easy for us to feel better about. Or we can deliberately and consciously soothe and shift our thoughts on that topic so that they become less resistant (AKA “feel better”) for us. This last one's helpful when the topic in question is something that we are frequently encountering (like a job, a home, a loved one, etc.).

Beloved Woman paradise-on-earth's Avatar
    here is, imo, the superquote in regards to understanding what momentum REALLY is:

When something really matters a lot,
    it tends to get really an inordinate amount of your attention.
    And when itīs moving into the direction you donīt want it to move,
    than that inordinate attention increases the momentum.

And the thing that is so confounding about it, to you,
    that thing that makes you feel that disgust and rage, is-
    a part of you knows, that it doesnīt have to be that way.
    A part of you knows, that you are smarter than this,
    a part of you knows that if you just could get hold of it
    and apply yourself in a different way-
    you could turn it around!

We want you to make MOMENTUM your friend, too!

The thing we so want to convey to you
    in a way that you can really feel it, is that sliding in opposition
    to what you want DOES NOT INDICATE BAD CREATION.

It indicates strong determination!

If you really want something, and you are focussed in opposition to it,
    itīs really really uncomfortable.
    If you donīt care at all,
    then your opposition-thought doesnīt hinder you, at all.

And so, when you feel strong about something, as you do
    there is very very very good news, in that.
    And the good news is:
    There is strong, strong, strong, strong, STRONG momentum!

Now we want to help you understand something about momentum!
    Because, so far in this conversation,
    it felt like weīr talking about momentum, thatīs taking you into the OPPOSITE direction
    of where you want to be!

But momentum -ahhhh- momentum is NEVER EVER taking you
    into the opposite direction of where you want to be!

HEAR THIS!

Momentum is ALWAYS source energy,
    moving TOWARDS something you really really want!

But in opposite vibration,
    in opposing personal thought-vibration,
    the momentum that is really leading TOWARDS where you want to go,
    feels AWFUL while you are pulling against it!
    Now, did you get that??

THIS MOMENTUM -this is not a downward-slide, that you are upon,
    this is an onward slide,
    this is the Universe, lining everything up, to give you everything
    that you want!
    THATīS WHATīS REALLY HAPPENING!

But where you are standing within it,
    and almost everybody would understand it-
    you are pulling in such opposition that it FEELS to you,
    that the momentum is going in the opposite direction-

because youīr taking score of current manifestations
    instead of understanding the power of the momentum!

It would be a little bit like,
    if you would be garnering the empathise, that you where going to
    shoot something far far far out into space- but so far,
    the rocket hasnīt been launched.
    So, itīs just sitting there- in a resistant state!

Iow, it wants to go, but they got it all strapped down,
    and so it looks like itīs going to tear the whole launchpad up,
    if somebody wonīt cut it loose and let it GO-

and THATīs what we want you to focus on, here!
    This momentum, that feels like downward-spiral,
    is NOT a downward-spiral.
    Itīs an upward-spiral, that you are not flowing with, yet.

Thatīs all that it is.

Abraham Hicks

from the collectionMomentum