Thread: I want to transform my appearance

I want to transform my appearance

Hello,

I have recently joined the forum but have been aware of the Law of Attraction for several months now. Each day I seek to learn more information in order to achieve my dreams.
    My main desire revolves around my body, which I've had many issues with for some time now. For several years, I have struggled with an eating disorder, and my health is not in an optimal place. Though I am considered underweight according to the BMI scale, I love the feeling of being thin, but being small at the expensive of my health, especially still being a teenager, and through restriction is not what I want. Itís not worth it, Iím not happy, and not even looking the way I want to.
    Recently things have gotten so out of hand that Iíve been taken out of school temporarily until action is done. Though my family and I have tried to access some professional help, itís a tough situation and what absolutely none of us want it to come to is to be admitted into an in-patient program, meaning I could be stuck there for weeks, away from home and school, which is just terrifying to me. Instead, we are really this time going to be making changes to my diet (gradually). Up until this point, my average day of eating (I am vegan and will remain so) was some fruit in the morning, a salad for lunch, fruit for snack, and a cooked meal for dinner. Though I never really finish anything I eat and fight daily with my parents over what I'm eating. Some part of me still believes that food contributes to weight gain, though by the LoA, and many of its advocates such as Rhonda Byrne and of course Abraham Hicks, it's the thoughts/beliefs that matter, not the food itself.
    So when coming across LoA and reading stories on many LoA related websites of people who were able to eat whatever they wanted without working out and attain their desired bodies, as well as changing other features of their appearance, I was astounded and it gave me great hope! I've hurt so many people and practically broken my family apart, but I still can't seem to let go despite learning that changing your physical appearance is possible. Itís like there are two people within me, both equal in volume, one side thatís remains fearful of food and doubts LoA entirely, and the other half, sort of like my Inner Being, that knows all I desire can be achieved. Itís very conflicting, frustrating, and induces a lot of anxiety as a result.
    What I exactly want in terms of my appearance are the following:

• A skinny, model-like body while being able to eat absolutely whatever I want (no matter if it's considered "healthy" or not, I will remain in the skinny body that I desire) and no exercise required
      • I don't have a ďgoalĒ number but rather a shape/frame, and it is rather small by some standards but it's what I want for myself

• An overall smaller body frame
    • A height of at least 5'10Ē-5í11Ē (I am currently 5'7")
    • Clear, fair/porcelain skin
    • Light blue, beautiful eyes (Currently brown)
    • Fuller lips
    • Smaller/shorter face (I really feel like I have a big head and it ages me too)
    • Lighter/blonder, stronger and longer hair (Currently brown, short and falling out)
    • An overall more beautiful and youthful appearance

I want to transform, to become almost like a completely different person, be "reborn" in a sense. I want to have the body I've been dreaming of and have more love and confidence for myself, which in turn will mean more love for others. I want to restore my health (I've lost my period and my hair falls out all the time at this point), greatly desire a career in acting, and want my family to become close again.
    I've been collecting stories upon stories of people who have achieved such things, and so many members on here as well write about their ability to eat freely without gaining a thing. And yet, for some reason, I can't apply it firmly to myself. When I think about eating a meal I usually avoid because I think it will make me "fat," I cower. Whenever I try to think my height is growing or my face is changing, I get confronted by thoughts of disbelief and become disappointed when I pass by a mirror (which I donít even know if I should be looking into or not).
    Although I know it's wrong, I can't help but feel desperate. I'm so tired of restricting and being rude to myself and others. I want to look the way I've always dreamed of because I know I will have that happiness I've been longing for. I want to be like all of those successful people who eat fearlessly and guilt-free and don't gain any weight. All I ask for is some guidance, I don't personally know anyone who knows of the LoA and my parents don't really know how to feel about it either (though my mother has read and enjoyed ďAsk And It Is GivenĒ). I've been yearning to talk to get into contact with those who have been successful but also to connect with others to figure out what I should do.
    I've done some meditation, visualizing, a vision board, affirmation list, acting as if, trying to stay positive, but I guess my belief isn't there and it doesnít last. Even now that my diet has to change, I feel the fear of that old-self worrying that this wonít work and Iíll be stuck looking this way forever. I also feel this need to just be angry at my family for trying to feed me more, even if Iím not that mad at them I just impulsively act like I am and itís really ridiculous. I want it so bad. And because of my poor health I pretty much am running out of time and options, and with each passing day came with fear and disappointment as I wasnít following LoA at all. Fear of having to eat something I don't want to, disappointment when I give in to restriction and see the same body I don't want to see.
    I don't mean to spread any negativity, I have faith, I always do, itís what keeps me going, but I need some help and would greatly appreciate it from anyone. Some motivational success stories or things I can do as I recover, really anything to start this year right and make it the best Iíve ever had. Iím done with this suffering. Iím gonna get what I want; health, beauty, and a whole lot of happiness!

Thank you all.

Welcome to the Forum, RG!

Quote Originally Posted by RoseGarden View Post
    I have recently joined the forum but have been aware of the Law of Attraction for several months now.
    That's lovely. It's important to point out here that we are not a general "Law of Attraction" discussion forum. We have a specific focus here on The Abe Forum. The discussions here are specifically focused on the teachings of Abraham and how we are applying these teachings to the various topics of interest to us. You can read more (and I suggest you do) about the Purpose and Intention of the Forum.

Each day I seek to learn more information in order to achieve my dreams.
    That's great! I would really encourage you to learn more information about these teachings which can be so very helpful to you with all aspects of this topic you're bringing to us. You see, that's the key piece that I'm hearing from you as I read your very clear words.

It's all right if you're not yet aware of what Abraham teach. We all start somewhere. Every one of us on this Forum had to be reminded of the material that Abraham teach us. You can start with a careful and thorough reading of an Abraham book, such as the one your mother has read. It's really hard to discuss something (as you're wanting to do here) or work with something, if you don't know what that something is. In this particular case, this "something" is these teachings, which differ significantly from the way other teachers of the LoA teach about this important law.

Some part of me still believes that food contributes to weight gain, though by the LoA, and many of its advocates such as Rhonda Byrne and of course Abraham Hicks, it's the thoughts/beliefs that matter, not the food itself.
    For example, I might point out to you that you here have identified a resistant thought that you have (Good for you). Does that mean anything to you?

Because a book like AAIIG* talks about resistant thoughts, why they are important to the process of the art of allowing and gives us many practical tools and techniques that you can use on this resistant thought. So, with that basis for conversation, we can then have a productive conversation with you.

It’s like there are two people within me,...
    But there are not. This is just a story that you tell and I get that you're describing your experience for us. However, this story that you tell gives away your power. Your thoughts matter, a lot. You create your own reality with your thoughts and with the stories that you tell. This is the very heart of these teachings.

When you tell your story of the two theoretical people within you, you are giving away your power because you're telling us that you don't have any power over that "other person." But the important thing to remember is that there isn't another person within you. It's just sometimes you think this and other times you think that.

Now, you might have practiced yourself into some habits of thought that you are now deciding that you no longer want to do. (Good for you.) So, you can use the tools and techniques that Abraham teach us to start to practice yourself into habits of thoughts that you now want to do. As you do more of that, deliberately and consciously, you can practice yourself into a more consistent habit of thoughts that you are thinking.

...both equal in volume, one side that’s remains fearful of food and doubts LoA entirely, and the other half, sort of like my Inner Being, that knows all I desire can be achieved. It’s very conflicting, frustrating, and induces a lot of anxiety as a result.
    When you learn about these teachings, you'll discover that a fundamental difference between these teachings of Abraham and other teachers of the LoA is Abraham's concept of the emotional guidance system. Anxiety, Frustration (capitalized to remind us that it's a place on Abraham's Emotional Guidance Scale) and every other emotion ("good" or "bad", "negative" or "positive") provides us with important information about what we're doing with our vibration and our alignment.

What I exactly want in terms of my appearance...
    And what do you want in terms of your own health and Well-Being?

Because you want that, too. And you want that more than you want your appearance. But you're focusing in a way that pits those important desires against one another. It sounds like you've sort of practiced yourself into habits of thought which say, "I can't have this while I get that." That's a vibrational gap right there that you'll want to close. You've been trying to close your vibrational gap through your action (by what and how you eat). What you've been discovering is that we can't effectively resolve our vibrational gaps through our actions, through what Abraham call our "action journeys." However, we CAN close our vibrational gaps through the vibrational "work" that Abraham teach us to do.

I want to transform, to become almost like a completely different person,...

What's wrong with the person that you are now? Why is she not enough because she looks the way that she does now?

Because this, too, is an action journey. You're saying "If I can change this, that and the other, then I will be enough." The thing is that your IB Knows that you currently are your own creation, Knows that you are enough and Knows you are wonderful and getting better. So, when you are telling a story where the current you isn't enough when your IB Knows the "perfection" (no such thing) of who you are, that's another vibrational gap. You've been trying to close this vibrational gap by your action of transformation. This might be where Abraham would lovingly ask you, "How's that working out for you?" It hasn't been. Your action journey has been making you sick, causing your hair to fall out (the opposite of what you want) and jeopardizing your health.

So, I applaud you for considering a different approach.

I want to have the body I've been dreaming of and have more love and confidence for myself,...
    The love and confidence you have for yourself comes from vibrationally aligning with the Love that your IB has for yourself, not from any external condition. When you read AAIIG, you'll notice that Unworthiness and Insecurity is also a point on Abraham's Scale. Since "confidence" is the opposite of Unworthiness and Insecurity, we can use the position of Unworthiness and Insecurity to guess where "confidence" would be on the Scale, if Abraham's publishers had unlimited paper to include every emotion on the Scale. If you were following along with a copy of the Scale as I was talking, you'll have a very good visual sense of the vibrational gap that you have that you are wanting to close. Again, we close our vibrational gap through our vibrational "work," by taking our "vibrational journeys."

I want to restore my health (I've lost my period and my hair falls out all the time at this point), greatly desire a career in acting, and want my family to become close again.
    Great! Good for you. These are all possible with these teachings, as you "work" towards your own alignment.

I've been collecting stories upon stories of people who have achieved such things, and so many members on here as well write about their ability to eat freely without gaining a thing. And yet, for some reason, I can't apply it firmly to myself.
    Because you're focusing on their action, when the key is their vibrational alignment. That's the piece you'll want to start to consider.

When I think about eating a meal I usually avoid because I think it will make me "fat," I cower.
    So, you've been doing that for a while now, I imagine. That's all right.

But have you noticed that avoiding eating doesn't change the thoughts that you're thinking? This is why the action doesn't close our vibrational gaps. In fact, action brings us more which match the vibration that we had going on when we were inspired to take our action.

And if you think about it, when you are inspired to your action of "not eating" from your vibration (I don't know; I'll just throw out examples) of unworthiness, of self-deprecation, of self-criticism, of unlovableness , your action of "not eating" has brought to you more reasons to think your thoughts of unworthiness, of self-deprecation, of self-criticism, of unlovablenes. That's the Law of Attraction in action.

Whenever I try to think my height is growing or my face is changing, I get confronted by thoughts of disbelief and become disappointed when I pass by a mirror (which I don’t even know if I should be looking into or not).
    When you read AAIIG, you'll read about J&E's road trip from Phoenix to San Diego. Abraham use that trip as a metaphor for our vibrational journeys. One reason they tell that story is because we know that in any physical journey, we progress--inch after inch, step after step, kilometer after kilometer--from where we are to where we want to be. I like to joke that this isn't Star Trek. We don't "beam" ourselves from where we are to where we want to be. This is true for our physical journeys. It's also true for our vibrational journeys. The LoA won't let us think thoughts which are significantly different from the thoughts that we've been practicing. That's like "beaming" ourselves. That's what you're doing with these thoughts about your height or your face. Those thoughts are too very different from what you currently believe to be true. So, Abraham teach us to find thoughts which still seem true to us yet which feel better.

I want to look the way I've always dreamed of because I know I will have that happiness I've been longing for.
    I don't want to burst your bubble but that's not how you get your happiness. As Abraham teach, "happiness is an inside job." Our happiness comes from our own alignment, not from changing the conditions so that we can simply observe our pleasing conditions and be happy. In fact, that last bit is the very opposite of what Abraham teach and is the belief which prevents so many people from finding the happiness that they want.

I want to be like all of those successful people who eat fearlessly and guilt-free and don't gain any weight.
    People who eat fearlessly and guilt-free do so because they don't think thoughts of Fear or Guilt as they eat. It's not about what they eat or when they eat it. It's about their thoughts.

All I ask for is some guidance, ...
    I say this with all earnestness: The single "best" piece of advice that I can give you right now is to carefully and thoroughly read an Abraham book, with the intention of learning what they teach (rather than scanning for your quick answers to this topic). Pick whichever book calls to you. They all contain the full message, just are focused in different ways. In fact, because of their different focus (and because Abraham are such a fun read), I often recommend that people read a variety of the books so that they can hear the different parts of this material in different ways so that it sinks in.

I've done some meditation, visualizing, a vision board, affirmation list, acting as if, trying to stay positive, but I guess my belief isn't there and it doesn’t last.
    This makes perfect sense. This is why we have a Forum focused on these teachings of Abraham. Abraham talk about our emotional guidance system and about taking our vibrational journeys and the people who promote your techniques usually leave out those two important pieces of the equation. Without those pieces of the equation, you don't know that you want to shift your vibration, you can't tell if you are shifting your vibration and many times you attempt to beam yourself into a vibration that's not yet accessible to you because you don't yet believe it and "...it doesn't last."

...I feel the fear of that old-self worrying that this won’t work and I’ll be stuck looking this way forever.

What would be wrong with that?

And I'm not saying that you "should" be stuck looking this way forever. As a matter of fact, you will not be stuck looking this way forever. People's appearances change, have you noticed? People get older. Their faces and bodies and hair change. That happens all the time everywhere.

But I'm asking you so that you start to pay attention to the thoughts that you're thinking about this topic of importance to you. These thoughts are your resistant thoughts. These are the thoughts that you'll want to soothe and shift.

*You can find a translation of the acronyms and abbreviations that we commonly use here on the Forum in our Glossary.

Moderator's note: I've tweaked your thread title so that it more clearly focuses on the topic you want to discuss.
    Last edited by WellBeing; 1 Week Ago at 02:26 PM. Reason: Formatting

Hello WellBeing,

Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate it. Yes, I have known of Abraham for quite some time now. There were even days where I would listen to there teachings all day long in hopes to sink it in. In terms of their books, I have "Ask And It Is Given" as well as "The Law of Attraction Collection" that includes three of their books in one. I would feel more called towards AAIIG since it seems like a good starting places in laying down their teachings. I certainly will begin reading it as soon as possible.

I agree and understand everything you're saying. It's contradictory that I lay my happiness on my appearance when I would need to be happy first to see the appearance change. To my understanding, Abraham places much emphasis on feeling what it's like to have you want and take it from there. I suppose all the self-criticism I have held on to is due to making the wrong decisions, putting everything at risk, hurting others, and still not getting what I want. I've always been my worst critic. Then I become confused because I'm told to visualize or feel like I'm the person I want to be/look like but then I have to accept myself as I am, it sounds very contradictory to me and throws me off a bit.

And then in terms of the Emotional Guidance Scale, I guess I'm all over the place. In some moments I feel utter fear, powerlessness, unworthiness, anger, doubt, worry, overwhelmed and so on, yet I have an undying sense of hope and optimism that gives me faith. I see signs all the time too, numbers, messages, etc. and I truly feel that this is a point of great change for me, the Universe is guiding me and I have to trust everything is falling into place. Given access to this resource also feels like a sign and I'm very grateful to be getting this advice.

So, at this moment, two things I am most looking to see improvement in are my eating and seeing some height growth would be great. When I'm eating, I try to say affirmations to myself along the lines of "I can eat whatever I want and stay slim," "Food is my friend," "I have a super fast metabolism," "Everything I eat contributed to my health and slim body," etc. I also have saved a quote from Abraham about getting into a positive vibration before eating, I suppose I should put more dedication into that. But I recently have been experiencing a lot of pain when eating and have found it difficult to eat more since my appetite and stomach are so small. I feel like I shouldn't be saying these things as I'm adding more momentum but I just want to express myself truthfully. But since I am on this path of recovery and do want to eat what I've been restricting, I don't want to go through the same thing of unhappily gaining weight. It's like I always forget that it's my thoughts that making my body what it is, not the food. I wish I could just download that belief and throw out the old one, but I recognize that, as you said, there is "work" to be done, it's not a quick-fix. Though that doesn't mean it will take forever either.

It's all about getting into alignment, correct, and maintaining that feeling? In that case, is it right to just feel like I'm already that healthy, happy, and ideal looking person? Do I ignore mirrors/reality and just focus on that feeling? I hope the books will give me clear directions on what to do.

Thank you once again.

I would feel more called towards AAIIG since it seems like a good starting places in laying down their teachings. I certainly will begin reading it as soon as possible.
    Good for you.

I'm going to make a suggestion here to you:

Read your book carefully, with the intention of learning what Abraham are teaching. When we were regularly doing our books study groups here on the Forum, we read one page a day. If I were a newcomer to the book, I would read no more than one section (of a chapter) per day. (Aw, who am I kidding? I would plow through the book cover-to-cover, probably in one sitting because I like to read and I especially like to read Abraham's words. But then I'd go back and take my suggestion to you.)

Read no more than one section per day (again, not looking for your quick answers for your issues) and then go out into your day and see how your own life reflects to you what you have read. That's how it sinks in, when you start to find evidence for yourself in your own personal experience.

As you read your book, bring to us your questions about what you're reading. That way you can get the best understanding of what you're reading.

To my understanding, Abraham places much emphasis on feeling what it's like to have you want and take it from there.
    I hear that's your understanding right now, but my point to you is that you have an unhelpful understanding of what Abraham teach. This is why I have hammered home that you first learn why Abraham actually teach.

I suppose all the self-criticism I have held on to is due to making the wrong decisions, putting everything at risk, hurting others, and still not getting what I want.
    I think that, if you think about it, you'll see that you've got this backwards. Of you think about it, you will see that you practiced your habits of self-criticism, which then led to your decisions, actions and those consequences. (Your decisions and actions were your “action journeys” that you took to resolve your vibrational gap of self-criticism. That's all right. You did the best that you knew how. And in doing so, you've been showing yourself that action doesn't resolve your vibrational gap, just as we've been talking about.) You were thinking and feeling your self-criticism first, which is why we Abers start with vibration first. Your thoughts were (and are) the cause of this unfolding.

I've always been my worst critic.
    Then this might be something that you might like to change.

What you had been in the habit of doing really doesn't need to have any bearing on what happens next, if you to do something different from now on.

Then I become confused because I'm told to visualize or feel like I'm the person I want to be/look like but then I have to accept myself as I am, it sounds very contradictory to me and throws me off a bit.
    You may have been told this but it's not been Abraham who have told you this. You might have listened to or read a sound bite of Abraham's words provided with an agenda other than accurately conveying these teachings. But that's not what Abraham tell us.

And then in terms of the Emotional Guidance Scale, I guess I'm all over the place. In some moments I feel utter fear, powerlessness, unworthiness, anger, doubt, worry, overwhelmed and so on,...
    As you learn more about these teachings, you'll recognize that fear, powerlessness, unworthiness and anger aren't all that far apart from one another. You may even notice that the variability that you're reporting is related to the variability of your focus. IOW, when you focus on your health, you might feel fear. But when you focus on your face, you might feel self-hatred. And when you focus on whether the LoA is real or whether you can work with the LoA effectively, you might feel doubt.

So, at this moment, two things I am most looking to see improvement in are my eating and seeing some height growth would be great. When I'm eating, I try to say affirmations to myself along the lines of "I can eat whatever I want and stay slim," "Food is my friend," "I have a super fast metabolism," "Everything I eat contributed to my health and slim body," etc.
    That's that attempt at “beaming” yourself from Phoenix (where you are and don't want to be) to San Diego (where you're not and where you want to be) that I was talking about. You're not taking your vibrational journey and that's why you report to us that “...it doesn't last.” That makes perfect sense to me. This is one reason why Abraham don't emphasize affirmations in the way that others do. The LoA doesn't speak English (or Italian or Swedish or….). The LoA doesn't hear your pretty words. The LoA responds to your vibration, which you've been telling us is very different from your words.

I'm going to borrow from my Forum colleague, Marc, here. What you're trying to do here is like standing on the ground floor of a tall building and, with your affirmations, you're trying to leap up to the top floor where you want to be. Now, with a physical building, you know that there's this thing called, “gravity,” which will soon grab hold of you and bring you back to where you originally started. The LoA operates in a similar fashion.

Marc goes on to point out that every building has a set of stairs. You can climb this stairs, shifting in comfortable, sustainable, believable increments from the ground floor where are to eventually where you want to be. In fact, in AAIIG, Abraham give us an exercise which does precisely that.

I also have saved a quote from Abraham about getting into a positive vibration before eating,...
    Again, you're discovering the pitfalls of cherry-picking sound bites out of context from what Abraham are truly teaching us. This is why I've asked you not to read your book looking for your quick answers to your problems.

Abraham understand the power of LoA and the power of our vibrational habits. They know that the LoA isn't going to let us easily do what we're not in the habit of doing. Abraham wouldn't ask you to be “positive” when you've been telling us how not positive you're used to being. That, too, would be like trying to jump from the ground floor to the top floor of Marc's tall building.

I feel like I shouldn't be saying these things as I'm adding more momentum…
    There's no “should” or “shouldn't” in any of this. And the LoA doesn't hear or read your words.

But the LoA does bring us more of whatever we give our attention to. That's what it does. It's understandable that you would feel compelled to give your attention to your physical discomfort when you experience it. That's its purpose. You intended physical discomfort to be an extreme back-up for your emotional guidance.

But are you eating now? Were you feeling the discomfort of eating when you wrote this words? If not, then as you thought and wrote your words, you were focusing in a way that was bring to you more of what you don't want. As Esther says, “That was uncomfortable and unnecessary,” meaning that--in your moments of freedom from the discomfort of eating--you have the freedom to focus on something other than your discomfort from eating. You do. That's a skill that would be helpful for you to develop.

...but I just want to express myself truthfully.
    As many Forum friends can tell you, I'm a big fan of truthfulness and honesty. But, even when we're being truthful, we have flexibility. We can talk about our truth through the lens of what we want or through the lens of what we don't want. Our emotional guidance will tell us which we're doing at any moment in time.

I wish I could just download that belief and throw out the old one,...
    I know. But that thought defies the notion of an attraction-based universe, which you want way more than this wish of yours.

Though that doesn't mean it will take forever either.
    And it doesn't have to take very long at all.

But it will be easier and go faster if you first learn what it is you're wanting to do and why.

It's all about getting into alignment, correct,...
    Ultimately. But I would say that differently. I would say
    It's about learning how to feel better without needing your conditions to change first.

...and maintaining that feeling?
    No, you don't have to maintain that feeling. When you know how to accomplish that feeling, then it's no big deal to find that feeling again when you've lost it.

It's like walking. When you were learning to walk and you didn't truly Know how to walk or how you accomplished your waking, falling down was a real big deal. Now that you know about walking and you Know about your ability to walk, should you find yourself not walking as you had intended, you just pick yourself up and get back to walking as you intended. It's no big deal.

You will want to maintain that feeling because it feels better to love yourself than to criticize yourself.

In that case, is it right to just feel like I'm already that healthy, happy, and ideal looking person?
    I share Abraham's attitude that it's not helpful to ask someone to do something that I know doesn't work and that they have told me that they can't do (particularly when that something defies the laws of the universe as I understand them).

So, I continue to stand by my recommendation to you to learn what Abraham actually teach, so that you can ask about Abraham approaches, which will be more effective for you than your current unhelpful understanding and your approaches based upon your current unhelpful understanding.

In short, you're wanting to do with me what I've been trying to guide you away from in your reading. You want to skim and scan looking for your quick answers. Lots of people do that. I've been around here for a long time to see that and I can tell you, in every instance that I can recall, that “quick answer" approach has always interfered with the progress that they wanted to make and slowed them way, way down.

Do I ignore mirrors/reality and just focus on that feeling? I hope the books will give me clear directions on what to do.
    When you read your book, you will start to see that it's not the mirrors/reality which is bugging you. It's your thoughts as you look at mirrors/reality which are bugging you. You have the ability to look at mirrors/reality and think better-feeling thoughts than the ones you've been in the habit of thinking so far. When you do that, mirrors/reality will bug you less and you won't need to take the action of ignoring or avoiding them.
    Last edited by WellBeing; 1 Week Ago at 05:08 PM. Reason: Formatting