Thread: EGS from Disappointlent to Overwhelment

EGS from Disappointlent to Overwhelment

Technical old-school Abe 101
    I have never really understood the step-up from Disappointment to Overwhelment. How does that feel like?

Beloved Woman paradise-on-earth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rose essence View Post
    Technical old-school Abe 101
    I have never really understood the step-up from Disappointment to Overwhelment. How does that feel like?
    Itīs simply more unwanted momentum in Disappointment. When you are "just overwhelmed, you have a general feeling of things being out of whack, being "too much", of tension, pressure and things becoming uncontrollable. You feel overwhelmed!

In disappointment, this general discomfort becomes more specific. You become sad and know quite specifically why. Things now definitely feel going "wrong", and you are disappointed because of it.

The original EGS
    -as it is given in the Book "Ask and it is Given" by Jerry and Esther Hicks.
    I added the colors to make it more tangible, not to value any color less or more than another.

1. Joy/Knowledge/Empowerment/Freedom/Love/Appreciation
    Abe added in the clips several times that Peace also belongs into this position.

2. Passion

3. Enthusiasm/Eagerness/Happiness

4. Positive Expectation/Belief

5. Optimism

Entry to the Vortex

6. Hopefulness
    Abe teach, that Hope is so close to the Vortex, that if you stay there, you get easily swept in.

7. Contentment

8. Boredom

9. Pessimism

10. Frustration/Impatience/Irritation,

11. Overwhelmed

12. Disappointment

13. Doubt

14 Worry

15 Blame

16 Discouragement

17 Anger

18 Revenge

Hatred/Rage

20 Jealousy

21 Insecurity/Guilt/Unworthiness

22 Fear/Grief/Depression/Despair/Powerlessness

on the thread"The map of the soul": Specific EGS-Scales

Beloved Woman paradise-on-earth's Avatar
    to answer your question-
    In comparison to disappointment, overwhelmed feels as RELIEF. Itīs less specific, itīs more calm, less thorny.

Ok, I understand it better going down like you describe than going up. Irritation gets bigger and bigger, overwhelming, and then you fall into Disappointment which feels, to me, quite a jump. I mean, to get to Disappointment you really have to, like you said, perceive things have been going definitely wrong.
    But when I go up from Disappointment to Overwhelment I really don't feel how the transition goes. I usually just skip it altogether but I was now doing the EGS about something more or less in that area and I thought of asking.

I also feel that all the way up, ever since the last step of Fear, there's always been overwhelment, that is there's always been the perception that this is a problem that's way bigger than my capacity to cope with it. So why then Overwhelment above Disappointment? How is it that above Disappointment I become aware of being into something bigger than me, all of a sudden?

When writing out my progression up the emotional scale, and writing out my thoughts, I just label it all "really crappy" to "a little less crappy" to "sort of ok" to "fine." And then "a bit better".
    Whether those better feeling thoughts happen to take the form of what you might term jealousy or rage , or frustration or boredom...the goal is the same, to gradually get to a better feeling place.

I also feel that all the way up, ever since the last step of Fear, there's always been overwhelment, that is there's always been the perception that this is a problem that's way bigger than my capacity to cope with it. So why then Overwhelment above Disappointment?
    Your question opens the door for me to share one of the ways that I have come to understand the Scale. If you look at the Scale as a spectrum from least alignment at the "lower" end towards increasingly more alignment as we move towards the "upper" end and if you recall that our power comes from our alignment, then one way* I see Abraham's organization of the Scale as a spectrum from Powerlessness to Empowerment.

What you're describing even in your last step of Fear is really Powerlessness (rather than Overwhelment), which is why you're feeling it in there in Fear/.../Powerlessness. This is also why Fear and Powerlessness share the same placement on the Scale. As we move up the Scale, we are moving through various degrees of Powerlessness towards our Knowing of our Empowerment.

Overwhelment (as Abraham use that word) still has some of that Powerlessness but, because at that stage, we view our Overwhelment as sort of temporary. "When I can just get through this patch, I'll breathe easier" is the common thing we here from people in Overwhelment. Also, the focus in Overwhelment is still rather general. There's a whole variety of things clamoring for our attention and, as PoE mentioned, it's not that we're (usually) using a particular topic as our cause of our misalignment. It's more the general volume of all the topics which are coming at us. This is why Overwhelment is above Disappointment, where we are usually focusing more specifically--say, on a specific topic or event.

In Overwhelment we continue the theme started in Frustration/.../Irritation (on the way "down") where we can start to clearly see how our focus on our manifested (and manifesting) conditions isn't serving us as well as we've been taught. (This is a theme which continues as we progress down the Scale.) In Overwhelment, most of us want to run faster, do more, burn the candle at both ends, in order to manage our increasing momentum (particularly compared to the General zone of Pessimism to Contentment) so that we can make up for the increase in Powerlessness we're beginning to feeling (on the way down). Most of us are still trying to bang things into place through action and we're feeling Overwhelment because we're seeing that we can't offer enough action to overcome what we've been calling to ourselves with our vibration. In Overwhelment, we haven't yet started to assess our manifested/manifesting conditions into piles of "good" or "bad," so we're not yet Disappointed (where we have clearly sorted our manifestation into a "bad" pile).

How is it that above Disappointment I become aware of being into something bigger than me, all of a sudden?
    That's probably because, in Overwhelment, in addition to the "I can't cope" story, you also have the momentum of the "onslaught" of your manifesting conditions. It's a one-two punch. We experience Disappointment after we have labeled our manifestations "bad," so our momentum is usually subsiding (for the moment) in Disappointment. In Disappointment, it's just a one punch, with a little more sting.

Plus in Overwhelment, because we are often aware our conditions are still in the process of becoming and our belief in action is still strong, we believe that we can use action to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. (And sometimes, we can.) But that puts more vibrational tension on us because we're trying to overcome our vibrational momentum through action, which is a losing battle. This is why Abraham's "solution" to Esther when she was experiencing her Overwhelment was the Placemat Process and Turning It Over to the UM--essentially, recommending to her to offer less action and find her relief first.

*There are several ways to view Abraham's organization of the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriewinter09 View Post
    When writing out my progression up the emotional scale, and writing out my thoughts, I just label it all "really crappy" to "a little less crappy" to "sort of ok" to "fine." And then "a bit better".
    Whether those better feeling thoughts happen to take the form of what you might term jealousy or rage , or frustration or boredom...the goal is the same, to gradually get to a better feeling place.
    This is actually very similar to Abraham's approach. After all, Abraham don't use words at all. Words (and labels) are only something that we humans use.

Abraham tell us that, in any given moment in time, there are only two emotions which matter to us: "one that feels better" (than what we had just been feeling) and "one that feels worse" (than what we had just been feeling).

Thank you WB for the very good and accurate answer, just what I was hoping for. I will take some time to integrate that info (and also see how it feels experientially) and then I'll come back with questions. Thank you!